• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the diff between a64, and a64FX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the link! I was kinda curiose about that myself! The Athlon 64 FX looks pretty good! werent thye going to make a "athlon FX" that has the "thornton" core or was that a rumor?

this is kinda going off subject, but i cant wait to see how much one of those "applebread" durons cost. if they are like 30 bucks after they age a little bit, those 1.6Ghz versions, if cheap would be pretty useful for a folding farm :D

-f1
:cool:

oh cool, ath64 fx, is it fully 64bit?

if so, why even have the regular a64?

it doesnt seem to have any advantages

fiji said:
oh cool, ath64 fx, is it fully 64bit? if so, why even have the regular a64? it doesnt seem to have any advantages

Fully 64 compatible, both of them yes. Advantages of FX: Dual-channel memory access (registered DIMM required). So saying FX doesn't have any advantages would be ignoring that.

modenaf1 said:
Thanks for the link! I was kinda curiose about that myself! Werent thye going to make a "athlon FX" that has the "thornton" core or was that a rumor? this is kinda going off subject, but i cant wait to see how much one of those "applebread" durons cost.
:cool:

First off, you're very welcome.
Second off, yes, 256 KB cache Thor(n)ton was cancelled in favor of 64 KB cache Applebred.
Third off, they're $39 for 1.4 GHz and $42 for 1.6 GHz + shipping, so $49 guaranteed 1700+ T-Bred B (includes shipping) is a better deal (probably).

Fourth off, modenaf1? modenaf1!! I thought you started crying, told us all that we suck, that there are better forums out there, then you took your dolly and went home.

What-a-heck are you still doing here after virtually telling us to all go f*ck ourselves? As you can see, even without you, it's still the best forum bar none. It takes a man to come back after throwing a cry baby fit earlier on. Welcome back!
He-he

(Had to stick it, sorry)

Back