• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my OCS PC 3500 EL dual channel question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

|\/|oDdiC(_)$

my OCZ PC 3500 EL dual channel question...

Well, up until now ive been busy with my thermo electric water cooling project, and since HL2 is delayed, i might as well overclock my whole comp :) ok, when it comes to my memory, i got no clue what to do, ive read all the stickies, and i still dont get it that much. I know what timings are, just not sure how you know what the best timings for your mobo, and mem chips is the best, if anyone has the same mobo and mem please tell me what your timings are, and just some general tips of possible :) Thanks in advance,

Mod ;)

What FSB is your AMD running at? My 3500EL can do 2-2-2-5 up to about 175mhz (ddr350) so if your running at stock fsb, you could try these timings. Actually you should be able to go further with these aggressive timings than I can with my Intel setup. Apply dram voltage where necessary if you are not too worried about voiding your memory warranty. At 200mhz, I set mine at 2-3-2-7 where the "3" is RAS-to-CAS Delay.

Cheers

well, i guess i need to read up more, because i didnt know that the FSB and cpu speed matter, but i giess they do.....well, its all stock....for now, that is until i get my water coolingkit done, with a 226 watt TEC and custom water chiller. So i guess it would be good if someone can tell me what hte best settings are for stock, and for extremely overclocked 2800 XP chip, thanks again. :)

well, like merc said, it all depends on fsb and how you're oc'ing your cpu. i believe the 2800+ is 333mhz fsb stock. the reason why fsb matters is because amd systems run significantly best when the memory and fsb clocks are running synchronous (ie 1:1 ratio). so basically, you can think of the fsb speed and memory speed "interchangeably" for our purposes...

so if you're ocing the 2800+ purely by raising the multiplier, then all you'll need is some good cas2 pc2700 ram, since you'd be best off running your mem 1:1 at 333mhz. however, it would be a much better overclock to up both the cpu speed and the fsb speed, since you get a much larger performance boost.

so what's the 2800+ stock, like 166x12.5? 13? well, depending on how far your cpu will go (i'm sure cooling won't be an issue with that cooling system you're gonna have), if you have a rev2 a7n8x (can't tell from your sig), it should be able to do 200mhz fsb no problem. then you could do something like 200x11 or whatever your cpu can do. in this case, you would want some good cas2 pc3200, since it runs at 400mhz. the best thing to do is find out your mobo's fsb limit, and get your ram accordingly. so if you can hit 217fsb, then you would want to get pc3500 so you could run at that speed, 1:1.

that's sorta it in a nutshell. ram choice with amd systems are almost solely decided based on how far you can push your fsb. once you know the ram speed you're looking for, then i'm sure if you ask here, you'll find out the best ram to buy that'll attain those speeds. for example, my mobo is totally stable at 220fsb. instead of buying pc3500 ram, i got really good pc3200 (mushkin black level 2 with winbond bh-5 chips) that oc's to this speed at very tight timings...

yeah, i got rev 2, with bios 1005, so i think im ok on that..., i think ill stick with my OCZ mem, ive liked them so far, adn dont see why getting another pair is so important, but thanks for explaining it to me. Now i jsut gotta get ready to cool my CPU, adn push it as far as itll go :)

Back