• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan Connect to Pwr supply or MoBo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soundster

Is it better to connect the CPU fan directly to the power supply? or using the MoBo connector so that rpm can be modified or adjusted?

If you are overclocking it's best to connect it directly to the psu for better stability. If you want to adjust the fan speed I'd recommend getting a front panel fan speed controller or get a fan with a rheostat built in, like the thermaltake smart fan II.

Your motherboard manual should have a maximum wattage listing for the onboard fan headers, compare that to the wattage requirements of the fan and you may find that your fan wants more than the board is rated to give it. If so then you may burn up the fan header (and perhaps the rest of the motherboard) if you hook the fan up to it.

I solved a random shutdown problem with my KG7 by
connecting the CPU fan directly to the PSU rather
than the fan header.
Only problem is, ... no RPM reading that way. That's where
the split wire mod comes in. :)

Soundster said:
How do you do a split wire mod?
You can splice the wire that reads your RPM from your fan and connect it to the MB header. I am not sure if you need to use the ground wire also, but it isnt too hard to do.

hagrid said:

You can splice the wire that reads your RPM from your fan and connect it to the MB header. I am not sure if you need to use the ground wire also, but it isnt too hard to do.
Nope, just the RPM wire needs to go to the motherboard header, the other two go to the molex.

Soundster said:
Does anyone use a case fan with 4 pin socket to cool their CPU? and if so how do they monitor the RPM?

Do you need help with one or are you just curious?

And I cant imagine what the 4th wire is for? temp sensor? unlikely. There should be a black, red wire atleast. then there can be any of the following; yellow, blue, white. generally its yellow but Ive seen all these colors. this third wire is most of the ltime the RPM sensor for the fan.

So I think what an ideal CPU fan is: a case fan (4pin connect to the PSU) with sensor (modded using a 3 pin header kit) that plugs into the motherboard header.....I wonder if any store would sell that pre configured.....

crion said:
smartfan 2? or am i lost? i actually don't remember if i bouth an extra molex connector kit or if i got that with the smartfan :/
Yes, smartfan two has that ability.

And here is a little diagram for spliting the connectors on a fan.. just for clarification in case you weren't sure

wire splitmod.GIF

*edit* oh oops...hehe, maybe I should try looking at it harder :rolleyes:

but if you got the stuff no need to spend a couple dollars to ship one out to you..I am a fan of DIY ;)

Last edited:
Back