• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Glue and heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

If i used thermal compund on a chip such as NB and put Superglue on 4 corners and glued a heatsink down i know it will stay their stuck and still take heat off. What if i wanna upgrade the heatsink though? How would i unstick the superglue and take heatsink off? I have heard of the freezer method but motherboards are too big to fit in freezer.

You could always try picking it off if you use some "weak superglue" that will come off quite easily after it has dried.

Why would i sue weak superglue? Wouldnt my heatsink fall off the NB than after like a week or something ecpecially if it gets weaker as it dries. Than the heat will weaken it and it will fall off. Any other suggestions?

There was a post of a guy who sprayed the cold fluid from canned air onto an epoxied zalman northbridge cooler. According to his post, dousing the heatsink in the stuff cooled down the epoxy enough for it to be twisted off. I'll try to find the link.

what about hot glue, from a hot glue gun? It should be able to hold something like a northbridge cooler and it should be pretty easy to get off (i hear that rubbing alcohol loosens it really well) this is just a suggestion i have never tried it and dont know if it would work. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Evil_Eye said:
There was a post of a guy who sprayed the cold fluid from canned air onto an epoxied zalman northbridge cooler. According to his post, dousing the heatsink in the stuff cooled down the epoxy enough for it to be twisted off. I'll try to find the link.
I use a hot glue gun and it works great. Ive used it on video, chipset, and memory.

hot glue? you gotta be joking me? That seems like bs to me. Hot glue is plastic and it has a very low melting point, so if you stuck it on your heatsink as soon as you hit a certain temp your hot glue will melt and then it will start to burn eventually and stink, leaveing residue. You might be able to get away with it if your not overclocking, but i wouldent do that with an overclock.

I would test some mixtures of thermal compound and adhesive thermal compound until I found a mixture that was strong enough, yet brittle enough to come off without too much force.

Hot glue is just an all around bad idea, as the warmer it gets, the weaker it gets, and the warmer a heatsink gets, the more important good contact is for efficient heat transfer.

Everything I've heard about the freezer trick seems hit or miss, I would avoid it for sure.

Superglue can be removed by using acetone, while I dont recommend using superglue, people use it all the time. A better way is to get some Arctic Alumina Adhesive or arctic silver adhesive.

You can get ASA or AAA here for $6.45-$8.99 shipped
http://www.svc.com/thermalgrease.html

If you have to remove the ASA or AAA via the freezer trick it usually works well, but like IMOG said, it's tricky when your dealing with the Northbridge. If at all possible you should get a heatsink that uses the holes or clips when dealing with the Northbridge.

I've superglued many a sink and to remove them I take a firm grip and give a good twist. I just make sure none of the force I apply is lifting up and I have no problem removing the sinks.

Nukemall said:
hot glue? you gotta be joking me? That seems like bs to me. Hot glue is plastic and it has a very low melting point, so if you stuck it on your heatsink as soon as you hit a certain temp your hot glue will melt and then it will start to burn eventually and stink, leaveing residue. You might be able to get away with it if your not overclocking, but i wouldent do that with an overclock.

I dunno, the tip of those hot glue guns are really hot (they can leave a very nice blister) i doubt a northbridge or ram would get THAT hot so that the glue melts. Cause, i was thinking of putting in ramsinks on my 9800np in the near future so i was contemplating different ideas, i would like something that would be easily removable if neccessary.

Hot glue isnt that hot.. I play with it all the time making designs on my hands, it looks really cool lol. I would avoid it for use in HS attachment. However I use it alot in other areas. Though unless the vid is overclocking I dont think they get that hot, the NB and mosfets on the other hand can get extremely hot.

There are different temperatures of hot glue. Low temp hot glue probably shouldn't be used, but high temp (or maybe it's just standard temp, I'm not sure) hot glue will hold even at temperatures that would kill the chip. The only downside is putting it on; if you're applying it around the chip, a lot of that heat will go into the chip before you get a chance to put the heatsink on. I've played with hot glue from a low temp gun - made permanent finger prints and such - with no problems. I've had glue from a high temp gun, that had been sitting on a piece of cardboard for many seconds, touch my arm and I was frantically trying to pull it off (obviously unsuccessfully, because it was still very liquid) because it was so hot.

Restorer said:
There are different temperatures of hot glue. Low temp hot glue probably shouldn't be used, but high temp (or maybe it's just standard temp, I'm not sure) hot glue will hold even at temperatures that would kill the chip. The only downside is putting it on; if you're applying it around the chip, a lot of that heat will go into the chip before you get a chance to put the heatsink on. I've played with hot glue from a low temp gun - made permanent finger prints and such - with no problems. I've had glue from a high temp gun, that had been sitting on a piece of cardboard for many seconds, touch my arm and I was frantically trying to pull it off (obviously unsuccessfully, because it was still very liquid) because it was so hot.

They do make a high heat, high flashpoint superglue, but its not the kind you buy at the Grocery store. If you have Arctic silver adhesive, or access to it, thats what should be used as Superglue has no beneficial thermal properties.

I'm with Eobard on this. Many a time i've glued a blue orb to a Geforce 2 with 3 drops of super glue around the edge of the heatsink, and to get it off, simply give it a gentle twist.
Any super glue residue left simply cracks off in lumps with a spoon, knife etc.
I've done this at least 3-4 times.

Nukemall said:
ROFL. I guess I should mention that I also put superglue where it has points to stick(3 spots on my video card). The glue has never melted, but then I dont overlock. I put the glue on there to make sure it stays put.

Yep super glue comes off relly easy i glued the sinks onto my gf2 but they just twisted off again. It did leave a bit of glue on the chips themselves but a scraper and some wet'n'dry paper cured that.

The whole reason i use super glue is because you can get it off again easly, unlike epoxy.

Wouldent hot glue have relly bad thermal transfer properties??? and wouldent eaven the smallest blob spred out and cover way too much of the sink?? maybe eaven meaning the sink dosent make contact!

Back