• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JOptionPane

Registered
Ok I am now ready to overclock my 1700 all my system info is in my signature.

Question
1. I have set my sights on 2.2 is this a realistic goal? With what I have?
2. What should the temp range be just a good approximant low and high?
3. And correct me if I am wrong but I want the highest FBS with the lowest multiplier?
4. And as far as satiability goes is running the Sandra burn in wizard a good test?
5. And what is all this about scrambling a hard drive?

Thanks guys as I am a New-B and my last 1700 came and it was bad never got it to run at 133 at all.
But this CPU is fine FBS is set @ 190 and multiplier is @ 11 & the temp ia @ 44c no load and it runs fine
but I have not stress tested it yet.

Thanks
JOptionPane

3) You want the highest end MHZ total through the best combination of FSB and multi - not the lowest multi but you probably knew that. If two combinations of FSB and multi equal the same MHZ, most people prefer going with the combination with the higher FSB.

4) You should use various stability testing programs. Different programs focus on different things and will ensure stability in all aspects. This thread has some suggestions:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123908

5) The HDD runs at the same speed as the PCI bus, if it is too far out of spec then it can cause data errors and corruption on the HDD and could require a reformat.

He's got a PCI locked mobo IMOG. No risk of that.

190 is about the limit for PC2700 ram though.

Multi can be raised toward target 2.3 GHz with gradually raising Vcore to 1.8 volts of ocurse.

Prime95 Torture Test should be used to validate the overclock at first.

Excellent power supply!

Go to http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
and download Prime95.

To test the stability of overclocked CPU:

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed, not to exceed 1.8 volts), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It's then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

Last edited:
I've found 3dmark 2k1 finds any errors much faster than prime95, at least for my system. For a real test, run both at the same time.

Excerpt from
Summary for overclocking CPU and FSB (page 3)

hitechjb1 said:

How to adjust Vcore

To test for max overclocking, CPU clock is increased (bigger step at beginning and few MHz step at the end). And when the system becomes unstable, you can increase Vcore by 25 mV stepwise to see whether it can make the CPU to run faster so that the system can become stable again.

Repeat the above until high Vcore is reached to a point that CPU clock frequency cannot go higher practically, (say less than 10 MHz per C temperature increase, by raising Vcore (25 mV stepwise) for Tbred B/Barton), reaching zone of diminishing return on frequency. That is the heat/temperature increase will slow down more than 50% of the intrinsic CPU frequency increase (beyond break-even). From experience, 1.9-1.95 V should be OK for typical Tbred B overclocking (at least for testing), system stability (e.g. running Prime95 for CPU overclocking) is key, while keeping die temperature under control (take 50-55-65 C loaded as reference rather than the perceived absolute limit). Good HSF is needed to keep temperature low.

There are different level of stability. Minimum is that it can boot in the operating system and run Sandra CPU. Prime95 is considered to be a reasonable way for CPU stability and stress test.

Overclocking is a process, not by sudden boosting the Vcore and hope it will go to 2.5 GHz. Then it would not blow up the CPU. Don't sudden jump Vcore by multiple steps since you will lose sight of the CPU stability and die temperature increases.

During this process, watch for
- system stability,
- rate of increase of clock frequency per step of Vcore increase
I consider 5 MHz per 25 mV Vcore increase as near the overclocking limit. The frequency increase has decreased to less than 1/4 of its original overclocking rate on Vcore increase.
- die temperature, keep an eye on the rate of temperature increase per step of Vcore increase:
1. When overclocking reaches around 10 MHz increase per C increase for loaded CPU, it reaches the break-even point, the CPU overclocking frequency begins to slow down faster due to heat than helped by voltage (diminishing return).
2. I consider 2-3 MHz increase per C increase for loaded CPU at 25 mV step of Vcore increase as reaching the overclocking limit, take 50-55-65 C as relative rather than perceived absolute limit

Example for Vcore increase

Here use a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C as an exmaple. If you have a CPU that can do 2.2 GHz @ 1.5V, it is a good CPU for oc.
(If you chip can only do 2.1 GHz @ 1.5V, then substract the CPU clock by 100 MHz and 0.5 in the multiplier in the following example, etc, etc.)

Keep FSB = 200 MHz
Raise the multiplier to 11.5, i.e. freq = 2300 MHz
Increase Vcore to 1.6 V+- should get it stable. Run prime95 to test stability.

Then repeat again with FSB = 200 MHz, multiplier 12. I estimate Vcore around 1.7 V +- to get it stable to 200 x 12 = 2400 MHz. Run prime95 to test stability.
etc, etc.

At the early stage, one would expect to get 100+ MHz for each 0.1 V or 100 mV Vcore increase. When close to the overclocking limit, that number will drop to around 50 MHz / 100 mV, and eventually down to 5 MHz / 25 mV eventually, and the end is almost there. Also at the last % of overclocking, the temperature would increase much faster per step of Vcore increase, I consider 2-3 MHz / C is about reaching the limit. It will be very costly in terms of voltage, power and temperature to get the CPU to run a % higher.

This is just an estimated scenario, try it out first. If you want to go further, you may need to try a better HSF such as SK7 or SLK-800U/900U with a variable speed high CFM fan such as TT SFII or even a Vantec Tornado (with VR mod).

When you can reach 2.4/2.5 GHz, depends on the HSF and PSU, your are probably 100 MHz away from one of the best oc of a 1700+ on air.

Back