• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech..MCX462-V xp 2800+ got my temps down to 57c idle...this is total B.S.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dirknar

Registered
asus a7v333 rev 1.2

2800+ not overclocked at all
1.65 vcore
12.5x166

4-case fans

92mm tornado on heatsink...

mb 82-84F
cpu-57c idle
62c (gameing)

this SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS.........

any suggestions.......

it cant be user error on the installation.. the thing is secure, paper thin layer of as3, fan blowing into the hs, 4 case fans..ive reinstalled it about 10 freaken times...

your going to hate that tornado its so freaken loud...

i think its my board... i have already made a post yesterday but wanted to see if i could get some different answers

thanks for all the help u guys are great..

You did apply a thin-even layer of thermal compound on the cpu core? Also did you turn the screws to where the heatsink is firm?

Otherewise the temps reported may not be accurate. Only way to be sure is have a temp sensor under the actual cpu. mobo monitor is rarely 100% accurate.

Now about that new swiftech. I've finished testing it against an slk900a using a 92mm tornado on top speed and on a quiet 2600, an 80mm tornado same way and then a very quiet 80mm nmb fan. In all tests the slk900a cooled better, usually from 2-7 degrees fahrenheit.

It isn't bad, but I'd say it is more comparable to the SK7.

btw, I use a sunbeam fan controller to control the tornado. It is a must with that fan. :D

the only other hsf i have is a stock 2000+ ive already tried it

63c idle

i think its my board

and yes a ver thin layer of as3, and once the screws rise above the bracket its impossible to put anmore pressure on it..its very secure i have anylized it about a hundred times

I just upgraded to a t-bred b and I had the same thing happen to me, allthough with a different heatsink... I have a Thermoengine with delta 38 cfm on a 7v mod, I know the heatsink is aging, but I should not have temps like 57C idle 67C load. I have reinstalled it 7 times, and re applied AS/II 3 times, it seems to be making flush contact with the core, I am not sure what the problem is? and this is at stock temps, with stock voltage. The case temp reads 28C but it is kinda chilly in my room, so i think thats wrong also. when i touch the heatsink when the temps read 67C it is not hot at all, not even warm... before with my old XP 1700+ It seemed to give me accurate temps. maybe its the bios... but i am not sure why it would give me different temps, the mobo has an external temp sensor... it does not read from the core.

I am just a little fed up... but I think that it is lying.

Just touch the heatsink with your hand. Is it hot? Warm? Lukewarm? It's it's not hot and your PC is stable, don't worry about it.

well to really put a damper on the mood my cpu is fried...

little black tracers going straight to the core on the underside of the chip showed up.. when my comp kept crashing..
i know that i wasnt doing anything wrong my heatsink was always warm when comp was on mobo temps in bios were 53- 63c which is not hot enough to fry( yes it is hot but not enough to fry it.) but sisoftware sandra said cpu temps were 35.5c...

so im ****ed... i just RMA'd it back to Newegg.com.. and i sure hope that AMD replaces it..
because i didnt do anything wrong..

i reinstalled the heatsink and fan..(MCX-462-v w/ 92mm tornado w/ thin layer of as3 for those that didnt read all these posts..)
about 10 times and it was right every single time..
so i dont know what went wrong... i dont know what the chances of getting a screwed up cpu are either though????????????

Well that sure sux. :(

I just hope it was the cpu and not the mobo. If nothing was blocking the heatsink from making full contact on the cpu core, then it could very well be the mobo. One way to know for sure, try another cpu.

oh yea ive had this mobo with 2000+ for a long time.. since the board first came out.. i have the mcx-462-v on the 2000+ right now,
and my temps are 35c-40c so i think the 2800+ was fuqqed up..
but im bias(according to AMD, probably)

Back