• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please chaps. Cleaned heatsink pc will not boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so after talking to you guys i thought i should cleabn my sk7 heatsink as my temps have been rising recenlty.
I was very dirty i was so shocked.
So i got everything cleaned up cleaned the3 cpu and put some new artic silver 3 back on.
Now when i turn the pc on the cdroms spin up normal but i have no video and the hard drive and power light just stay on.
I have tried remounted abd cleaned everything again.
I am starting to wonder if maybe i crushed my cpu?
I took the fan off the heatsink and after a few seconds i can feel heat from thr heatsink so the cpu is gettinh hot so not sure if it is ok or not.
I do not have a spare cpu i gave it away LOL.
I have reset the cmos battery closed and open did not help. I have taken out my 3 ram and stuck back in and tried running the ram in different configs.
I do not know what to do i have tried everything.
If you guys have any ideas it would be great otherwise i will have to buy a new motherboard and cpu pay day.
I have another rubbish motherboard i may bre able to joyrig a setup out on the table i have a spre cdrom and hdd just to see if i can maybe test the cpu.
my setup is in my sig i will get a delux asus board next time if i have to get one.Also if i have to get another cpu should i buy the same one good overclocker ot go with a 2500 barton what you think.
Thanks guys.
Malcolm.

Well you could SEE if you cracked your core so if you think you did you can look. Then tripple check everything and try again. You either messed up your core or made somthing get loose... What did you use to clean the CPU? and did you wait for it to dry (along with anything else you might have cleaned). I think any damage would be evident in somthing like this unless maybe you had it wet and it shorted. I bet you just made a silly mistake though, check everything, memory PCI cards, video, HDD/CD cables, power etc...

Thanks for the reply my laptop has been messing around first timem i could get online.
I could not get it working at all mate. I used 98% proof and it was dry.
i have another motherboard which i think is faulty but i thought i would see what it does.
so i set it on rubber connected the psu ram video card and cpu and it boots for about 3 secs the mon clicks on then the mother board cuts out.
board cut out. then you have to turn the psu off for as few secs and then it will come back on.

I think my socket in my asus may of got loose it was really hard to get the cpu out first time.
I do not know to get a another cpu or a mother board i might get the dlx this time with a barton 2500.
I do not have much cash at the mo all this is a pain really.
Thanks for the reply mate.
Malcolm

here's a stupid thing i did when i mounted my cpu wiht as3.. i accidentally splashed some on the socket and shorted out the pins.. make sure you did a good job of applying the as3 and havnt shorted out anything ;d luckily after i cleaned up the excess as3 on the socket.. the cpu booted up fine

I stuck everything back in main pc to find out about the beeps. When i start the pc the fans go around and both hdd and power lights just stay on.
I get no beeps at all and no video to monitor.
When payday comes on the 10th time to get some stuff.
I even took off the white pads that come with the sk7 to see if it mabe is not seated right.

Thanks for your ideas people.
Malc

Back