• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink suggestions for 9800 pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

runsalone

I need to cool my 9800 pro while it is overclocked. Money is not a factor here. Which heatsink should I use, and should I use ramsinks?
The card is the 128 mb model. There is a tornado 80 cfm case fan blowing directly over the card as well.

I have seen those large heatsinks that cover 80% of the card with a heatpipe going around the back end of it. Would this work good with a few 80 mm case fans attached?

Well if money is not a factor get some type of watercooling, otherwise www.svc.com www.sidewindercomputers.com are two good places to get RAMsinks (wich you should use) and probably a HS but I dont realy know about good HS's for video cards.

Though I have seen people ahve sucess with those really thin copper CPU HS's wher they just drilled holes in for the pins/ties of some sort to secure it. That is prolly what I would do if I didn't wanan do watercooling.

An slk900 would perform well, but i can only imagine the shape that it would bend the card into - its a very heavy heatsink. I have stuck a P4 2.8Ghz stock heatsink on my 9800Pro, which i cut to size, and it bends the card about 10mm downwards.
I had to support it by tying fishing line to card and the other end to the bracket along the top of my case, to pull it upwards again. If you could get your hands on one, i would def. recommend it, as it works extremely well - the GPU overclocks by 70mhz, which gives me 2200 extra 3dmark 2001 points. It also only takes up 1 PCI slot - just.
As for ramsinks, def. worth getting. Check these out - http://www.techdot.com/articles.php?action=show&id=6

Wanted to improve cooling with out spending money,
so I modified a coolermaster socket7 cooler and bolted that
on with some AS3 and have managed 460mhz on the core.
Anything above that and the sparklies make a very sudden appearance.

I have not removed the stock shim, but I think I already have
good contact between gpu and cooler. In terms of Ram-sinks,
I would custom make your own from canibalized parts. They tend to be meatier than the off the shelf versions(I used some Thermaltake items.)

voodoomelon said:
An slk900 would perform well, but i can only imagine the shape that it would bend the card into - its a very heavy heatsink. I have stuck a P4 2.8Ghz stock heatsink on my 9800Pro, which i cut to size, and it bends the card about 10mm downwards.
I had to support it by tying fishing line to card and the other end to the bracket along the top of my case, to pull it upwards again. If you could get your hands on one, i would def. recommend it, as it works extremely well - the GPU overclocks by 70mhz, which gives me 2200 extra 3dmark 2001 points. It also only takes up 1 PCI slot - just.
As for ramsinks, def. worth getting. Check these out - http://www.techdot.com/articles.php?action=show&id=6

you could get one of those supporter card things.... i think i saw some at directron if im not mistaken.

Back