• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevintng92

Registered
I try to overclock my PC, but not sure exactly how. Any expert can help me to start from scratch (step by step). I have Soyo MB kt400, AMD barton 2800 (Vantec heat sink and fan) , ATI All In Wonder 9700Pro with Zalman heat sink. I would like to make the system run close to its max.

The clock speed of your processor is computed from the front side bus x multiplier.

For that specific CPU, I beleive the multiplier is 12.5 and the front side bus is 166MHz. Thus your CPU frequency is:

12.5 x 166 = 2083MHz.

To overclock your CPU you need to increase one or both of these. For example, in your computers bios, I would suggest lowering the multiplier to about 10x and then increasing the FSB by 1 or 2MHz at a time as far as it will go while still being stable, then increase the multiplier 0.5x at a time, till it has gone as far as it will go while remaining stable. To improve stability sometimes increasing the core temperature helps, but this also produces more heat.

Do you know what your CPU and case temperatures are just now?

Also, check out the stickies in this forum for loads of useful tips.

Hi,
The temp. is around 40-41oC. What about the ram? do I have to lower or higher its spec. right now it's at 2T3T6T3T at 1T (1gig XMS coisair. Sorry I am new so I do not know the stickies

kevintng92 said:
Hi,
The temp. is around 40-41oC. What about the ram? do I have to lower or higher its spec. right now it's at 2T3T6T3T at 1T (1gig XMS coisair. Sorry I am new so I do not know the stickies

The AMD FAQ Sticky:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190168

I would try overclocking and leaving the RAM alone just now, but if you find the FSB wont go any higher, you might want to try relaxing the RAM timings a bit.

I'm not trying to be an a$$, but I also just started overclocking not so long ago. I have found that reading, reading, and more reading will help you along better than any "quick-fix" answers. Nobody knows your system better than you do. Believe me, I know you're anxious to get going with your overclock. I have been there. Everybody in this forum has been there. But the best advice you could get is to start reading the posts here. Read all the stickies, read the posts in the areas concerning your particular equipment and use the search button.
There is an excellent guide to starting your overclock on the main page concerning Ram overclocking...I'll get the link and post it. Read it and heed it. It will save you mucho time!
And by all means, if in doubt ask! The best overclockers in the world congregate here!

And WELCOME to the Forums!

Here is the link:http://www.overclockers.com/tips1050/

I do not knowwhat happen now but I can't even make a move on either FSB or Multi. Right now it stucks at 166 FSB and 12.5x. HELP!!!:(

I did try it but to no avail. Here is what i did, I crank the FSB one notch (167) then reboot the sys. It freezed, reset bios then gone back and cranked the Mult. from 12.5x to 13. it freezed!!!turned the sys. comletely off and unplug the power and batt. reset bios to original then it runs stable!!!!

It comes factory unlocked.

Certain mobos may not read all the multipliers but your mobo should.
It's not PCI locked so don't go over high 180s FSB.

You should have the mutipliers available to you in BIOS.

Seems like I can't click more than 166 FSB and 12.5 multi. Every time I try to click up a notch for FSB and 1/2 for multi. the sys. freezes up. That's why i suspected the CPU is locked.

Would you please clearly list the type of ram (PC2700?) and all your system specs again.

I have Soyo Kt400 MB, 2800 Barton CPU with Vantec heatsink and fan, 2 (512) XMS Coisair 3200 CL2 Ram, All In Wonder Pro 9700 with Zalman heatsink, and running with WinXP pro.

Mobo is the weak point here. 200 FSB is default for PC3200.

Your mobo can do 166 FSB. After that you're raising everything out of specs, maxing out at high 180s. If you go into 190s FSB, you're risking scrambling your hard drives.

Mobo is the definite weak point in the system although you did not list the most likely cause: the brand of the power supply.

Your mobo should be able to do 170s FSB at least. Inexpensive PSU may be the reason why it can't do even that.

I do not know what cause it freezes all I know is everytime when I try to OC the FSB a notch (167) it won't boot up.

Ooh, rule #1 with power supplies, Kevin:
Watts don't mean sh*t, brands do.

I forgot what brand i've got but it was one of the brand name that i bought it a year ago, all i remember is it's not cheap when i paid for it. What brand you recomended.

Back