• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help deciding what chip to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrhrhrFOOT

I decided to use the MSI K7N2 Delta-L nforce2mobo. Only $56 :D
im stuck between two things: Should i buy the $50 amd 1700+ chip and OC to 2.3 ghz? Or should i buy the $60 2100+ chip and OC to however high it goes? Please help.

Depends where you are shopping. If you can get a guarenteed 1700+ T-bred B then I'd go for that. If you buying from newegg, it would be a different story.

I'd recommend the $50 1800+ from newegg, they ship killer steppings and for such a low price, as for the mobo an MSI is AFAIK a poor choice as it doesn't have the PCI Lock and there are far more supirior motherboards to choose from, if you want a cheap mobo try to look into the EPoX 8RDA(+)

MSI is AFAIK a poor choice as it doesn't have the PCI Lock

MSI not having pci locks on their nf2 boards is a myth. You've got a nice mobo there, it should take you far.

hrhrhrFOOT said:
I decided to use the MSI K7N2 Delta-L nforce2mobo. Only $56 :D
im stuck between two things: Should i buy the $50 amd 1700+ chip and OC to 2.3 ghz? Or should i buy the $60 2100+ chip and OC to however high it goes? Please help.

Both chips are so good that a decision which to buy only comes third, after cooling and Power Supply. That's what will make a bigger difference in 1700+ vs 2100+ question. (As long as they're both T-Bred B's of course.)

Note that Newegg only guarantees 2100+ to be B. Not any lower rated CPU.

We thought it didn't but it turns out MSI delta nForce2 DOES have a PCI lock. You're OK there.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216639

Back