• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop overheat??? WTF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Highlander

I am getting a problem with my presario 1528cl laptop... its either overheating or something is happening..

Its shutting down after awhile playing desert combat.. my roomate has the exact same laptop and that doesnt happen... ANybody have an idea of what is going on here?

It looks like its video related since the display will not appear if I turn it on inmediately and it will stay off until I shut down and start it up again...

Let me know if you have any ideas.. I can open it up I have no problem with that and I have dealt with them before.. but what is the suggestion??

All fans are working... or so they appear to be...

Both laptops are layed on the same table and one is NOT blowing onto the one that is shutting down...

I really like this laptop since its ultra fast with games...

ITs a P4 2.4 768 mb ram ati mobility radeon 7500 32mb dedicated memmory... 5400rpm hitachi hard drive 16mb buffer 15" display.. those are the specs more or less...

Let me know your thoughts...

It may not be a a heating issue. But, you could try raising it off of the table by the four corners so that some air gets underneath, and see if that helps. Possibly have afan blow some fresh air underneath it at the same time if you have a spare lying around.

does yours feel hotter than his? does your graphics card have a fan? if yes does it work?

In BIOS for those laptops you can turn on the fan all the time. It might be a bit louder, but it might help. Try that, if it works, that might tell you whether its a heat issue or not. Good Luck!

Matt

Thanks.. I will try that.. they have a fan for the "chassis" or video card.. and they are both exactly the same model, bought on the same place at the same time... the only difference is that I added 256mb ram and changed the HD.. its the same model... his blows the same temp air through the exhaust.. I will try the bios but I think its on...

Let me know if you can think of anything...

I find a lot of the time when this happens, its actually the battery dying. This happens WAY too often, IMO, as I see it in about 1 of 3 laptop problems people ask me to fix.

did you change the HD to a faster one? that could cause overheating...

i would take the laptop apart (if your warranty has run out) and blow the dust out... also make sure that the thermal pad between the cpu and heatsink is ok (or better yet, replace the pad with some grease and a copper shim)

Yes I did change to a faster HD... questions:

1) why would the HD overheat if its not used that hard during the game
2) the heatsink is all copper... Warranty has not run out but I can open it withuot problems.. PC is 2 months old.. I do work on an IT department and I have worked with them.. if the batt is dying out (which I doubt) its plugged so.. why?

See what happens if you play it without the battery installed.
Just wondering what will happen. It may give you a clue to what is wrong.

The battery is not overheating.. I can play w/o the battery... its just the area of the processor. The huge copper heatsink is getting extreemely hot... and then.. shut down.. I will check for some ROM updates.. the crap is that the p4 shouldn't shut down.. I mean, it throttles down itself.. i will check the rompaqs.. maybe since I have winxp pro with a completely new installation and he has winxp home with original drivers that there might be a difference there in SOMETHING... DOnt know.. Will check

Not the MF is shutting down while using WINDOWS!!!!!
I am running a virus check... and nothing.. DAMN DAMN DAMN! its getting mighty hot, and I know its not a virus because it takes a while for the screen to come on again... it simply boots but no screen.. so you have to shut it down awhile and then start it up

its the processor.. its heating too much... changed the processor from my roomates same laptop and his started to shut down and mine didn't...

I guess is time for warranty... I am using artic silver 3 and no better results... its not heat transfer problem, its just that the CPU is not handling the heat...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Back