• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New NF7-s rev.2 problems....help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

khagan

Registered
I just got my nf7-s rev.2 mobo and and having some problems getting things up and running.

1. I can't seem to boot off the floppy.

I have got it set as the first boot option in BIOS. I get the error that tell me I don't have a floppy when I disconnect it...a good thing seeing that is how I set the BIOS up. It seeks on boot (also something I set in BIOS) but for the the life of me it won't boot of a system formatted floppy!!

I have tried to move the hard drive to both the IDE and SATA ports but that doesn't affect it at all...as expected...just thought I would try it. I has cleared the CMOS and am running version 18 for the BIOS.

2. 1 SATA drive not recognized.

This one I believe is because I have a dodgy adapter. I am using the IDE ->SATA converter so that I can use the IDE drives I have on the SATA ports. The ABIT one that came with the mobo works fine but the other one I bought doesn't seem to. I have switched everythign around in various combos but it still doesn't recognize the drive.

I was thinking that there is a slim possibility that this and the floppy not booting may be related....long shot but who knows?

3. The last issue is that when I leave the system to just boot on its own it freezes when it doesn't find an OS.

It gives the options to press whatever key to try again but the system is locked and I have to switch the power off or reset.

Any help, advice or ideas would be appreciated.

One last thing...can you install windows XP Pro with the drives connected to the SATA ports? I tried but it said no drives were recognized....do I neet to use the RAID facilities to do a format or something. I haven't tried to install windows using the IDE drives yet.

Thanks for reading this much!!

okay..so I solved my problems...

The floppy drive was dodgy which also caused the freeze at boot. ..and obviously wsn't able to boot itself. 2 problems resolved with one replacement floppy :)

The SATA adapter is definately faulty so should be fixed with a replacement in the near future...messes my plans for using the RAID in mode 0 though :(

The final problem with installing Windows...had to do it using the IDE port and switch to the SATA port after Windows was installed along with the drivers that Windows needed.

You can also install windows on the SATA drive by pressing F6 at the very start of the windows install (when it says press F6 to install 3rd party drivers or something like that). After a while it asks you to press S and then put in a disk with the drivers on it. You put in the disk, pick your driver from the list and then the install continues as normal but now it has the sata driver and it can install to the HD.

This is the same procedure you will need to use if and when you get your RAID 0 to work.

Thanks!!! Iwas wondering how I was going to get that to work if I had SATA drives instead of the IDE ones....

Back