• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to do split wire mod for fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soundster

Does anyone know how to do a split wire mod on a cpu fan so that the fan uses power from the PSU and can still see the fan RPM on the MoBo software?

The rpm monitoring wire is the yellow one i believe. Just cut off the other two and use the molex connector, red wire to the 12v line and the other to the gnd.

Thanks......But how do i keep the wire connect securely to the MoBo? Tape? Soder? Special connector I can purchase?

I'd just leave the monitoring wire attached to the fan header, and cut power/ground at the header. Then leave the header connected to the mobo, and the power/ground from the fan connected to the PSU.

Jognt said:
why would you do this? you have some ultra powered fan?
Na....not ultra powerful fan, but when I had it in the MoBo, the fan alarm keeps going off...I had to turn the alarm off in the BIOS...also others suggested plugging it directly to the PSU is better......then the whole fan RPM won't be avai. when its in the PSU.....I don't even know why knowing a fan's RPM is important.....:confused:

ah i read in the other thread, connect to PSU for stability, and split wire to see RPM..... :)

knowing a fans RPM is important, cuz ull be able to see if the fan is nearing the end of its life span, or if your CPU!!!!!! fan is dying....

Soundster said:
.....I don't even know why knowing a fan's RPM is important.....:confused:

And you can play around with custom fan speed controlors(variable resistors in line) better.

As for tell if the fan is still running I would suddenly be able to hear things if one got cut out.
:D

Back