• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon FX @ 2.8Ghz (Mach II Cooled)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you also notice the low-end of the benchmarks? Especially noting how the AMD Performace Ratings have been adjusted to be more accurate? The XP3200 falls short of the 3.2 P4, but the Athlon64 3200 is a match or better for the 3.2 P4 with the same PR rating.

yeah,but what about going above 200 fsb? keeping the chipset cool? and you know we won't have the ability to change the multipliers!!! and what about the vcore?? 1.750v to run 2.8??? no freakin way, what did they raise it to? what options are in the vcore? what rail does the vcore pull from? not skeptical on their results at all, but are we(the general overclocker) going to be able to reach those speeds?

I think that Ace's is pretty accurate. Remember, A64's are going to take significantly less voltage to OC because of the SOI process they are made on. Also, as far as I have read, all multi's will be UNLOCKED on A64's and FX's.

In fact, I remember some doom and gloom going around a month or so ago about how A64's would be locked and that because of SOI, upping the voltage would have no effect. I think this has all been put to rest. THe A64's overclock quite well for a BRAND NEW chip!

Molester said:
yeah,but what about going above 200 fsb? keeping the chipset cool? and you know we won't have the ability to change the multipliers!!! and what about the vcore?? 1.750v to run 2.8??? no freakin way, what did they raise it to? what options are in the vcore? what rail does the vcore pull from? not skeptical on their results at all, but are we(the general overclocker) going to be able to reach those speeds?

You might try READING the article FIRST.

The bus speed (200 in this case) is determined by the memory speed (up to ddr400) according to the A64 Tech Docs on AMD's web site. Tweaking this to overclock the memory bus may be possible in future bios releases.

The 1.75 Vcore is increased. (I have no data on the starting voltage for the A64-FX, but the Opterons run at 1.55V stock.)

The Asus based system which was tested in the review had adjustable multipliers and were used to obtain the overclock.

wont the performance increase signifegently with higher memory speed?...say with newer boards....remember the asus is an nForce3 and only has a 600mhz bus to the south.....may not be a big deal.....but thats one obvious upgrade comnming in the future...so an 800mhz bus with memory running at 300...and at 2.4gHz for air......thats just insane performance!......once they come out with the .09 wowsas can we say 4gHz..by this time windows 64 should be commen out....all I can say is it owns in 32 bit and will DESIMATE in 64!..I am so stoked :D

***EDIT***
another sound architecture by AMD :D

I hope AMD stays strong, so we can have low prices. does not have to be $50 per processor (which I can't get anyway), but $100 is fair.

but I wonder what kind of speeds the 3.2 EE would have reached with the same cooling. It would need about 4Ghz to be roughly same speed as the FX. This does not seem impossible. A regular P4 will probably need to be around 4.5Ghz to be same speed as the FX at 2.8Ghz.

Last edited:
the multiplier on the FX chips is UNlocked guys.... however the 3200+ 64 and opteron are locked. The board we used was rather sluggish with the nforce3 but the only VIA we got hold of lacked necessary OC options. Max Vcore on the board is 1.775.
I maxed out the chip around 2.9 GHz; but the fastest way was to run 218x13 1/1 and there I got a 44.7s pifast time, 30s 1M super pi and 23800 3Dmarks 01 with a slightly OCd crappy R9800 438/360.

blabla.JPG

http://pifast.hexus.net/pifast.php

Quote from article

The only thing from stopping you from overclocking with the multiplier seems to be the BIOS. The ASUS SK8N inside the nVENTIV Mach II featured a ***"SPECIAL"*** ASUS bios that allowed us to change the CPU core voltage and multiplier.

as i was saying before, it uses a SPECIAL bios from asus that allowed them to change the vcore and multi

will this SPECIAL bios be available for us normal joe's?

Nice going JC!

I gues we'll have to start looking for what pins conrol the multi in A64, and see if we could do some wire in the socket action... :)

Molester said:
Quote from article

The only thing from stopping you from overclocking with the multiplier seems to be the BIOS. The ASUS SK8N inside the nVENTIV Mach II featured a ***"SPECIAL"*** ASUS bios that allowed us to change the CPU core voltage and multiplier.

as i was saying before, it uses a SPECIAL bios from asus that allowed them to change the vcore and multi

will this SPECIAL bios be available for us normal joe's?

Well its a beta BIOS and i believe that there are BIOSes available with the multiplier setting. However you wont know until you put an unlocked chip into it. One thing i can say though is that at this point the BIOSes are buggy as hell which makes it hard to find the right one

person who did the article was using a mach 2.

was the article by JCviggen? from the looks of his comments I'd say yes.

I bought my Prometeia after seeing JCviggen and some of the other early adopters get some amazing results with it. Because of that I got the Prometeia while they still had the introductory price. Still quite grateful to him for that.

JCviggen: hi, is your real name Johan then? Johan De Gelas?

Last edited:
heh nope my name isnt Johan de Gelas... that guy is the reviewer from Aces hardware. I build the system and it was sent to him for review.

oh well, good try I guess.

but hey, now we know you built that system, and I know what your name isn't! :p

edit:
I originally asked where JCviggen was from, but felt it was a bit private and possibly not appropriate, so I removed the question. But looks like JCviggen saw the question and responded anyway. Oh yes, I also said that I was in Leuven at the moment.

Last edited:
Im from Tessenderlo originally but im in Denmark at the moment. Tessenderlo is on the border between the Antwerp and Limburg province...... but its getting OT lol

i very much liked the aces article,just the meat and potatoes i crave from ocing.
jcV i must say im not suprised at all you built that rig,nice work indeed.

idont see it to far off the opteron and the a64 to have work arounds on the unlock.once all the "hardcore" ocers get bored with the current fx they will hopefully start tearing opterons apart and find the magic fix.

the bios's will take a bit of time but there is no way in hell a mobo maker with compition on his back will hold bios fixs back like asus is.ill never buy another gigabyte mobo for ocing anyhow.

i want 140/240 opterons doing 2.4ghz! soon my freinds soon.
im not patient andimay have to invest first and learn as i go but i aint sceered.

"edit" for those interested it looks like the A64 wont be unlocked topside t-break
if a bottom side pin mod or bios dont do it the fx might be a ocers only option.

Last edited:
Back