• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Me again !! Fitted new mobo. Need some windows help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

How r yas ? Im sure some of you guys are sick of hearing of my probs , but sure anyway!

Ok i fitted my new lanparty nf2 board and 2600 cpu , and i had a few problems that i listed in a previous thread. Guys there gave me a good bita help and recomended a clean install of windows xp pro. Im in the middle of doing that now but need some help. Running through setup i have came to a screen that says the following :

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

use the upand down keys to select the item from the .

: To setup windows xpon the selected item, press enter

: To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c

: To delete the selected partition press d

then ive got

19093mb disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi ( mbr )

C: partition1 ( ntfs) 19085mb ( 6161 mb free )
unpartioned space 8mb

SORE FINGERS!!!!!!!!!! ( Im not a great typer )

All i wanna do is have a clean install, soshould i delete partition 1 ??
Im not worried about losing my old files and stuff ?

Also i am sorry if i have posted this in the wrong place !!

Cheers
Speak to yas soon

Reinstalling over the top of an install or even a repair install will probably mess with any files on there. Have you got another computer with which to back up your files? Even if there isn't anything on there you should still empty out any downloaded shareware etc. as links may be hard to find.

Format is what I did when I got a new motherboard.

o_O I dunno - if you have WinXP/2000 on the computer that you are at now, you could always partiton the drive in Windows on this machine. Makes it easier :p

it was xp pro previous to this ,but when i fitted the new cpu and board windows wouldnt boot ! I didnt back anything upbefore i fitted them , but i dont care really .

The reason the thing is giving you a warning is because it is a primary partition. I suppose you could do it in the windows setup, but as you are reading the forums and messing around with it I assume you have more than 1 PC :)

What I'm on about is taking the HD out and transferring it to the PC that you are posting from, then formatting it in Windows as it is much easier (assuming you have Win2000/XP on the one you are at.)

Windows generally won't boot if you replace a motherboard, so I am not surprised.

naaaa this is just a laptop ! I will just try it ! at worst i could buy a new hd , that ones a bit dated anyway! im not likely to do any hardware damage?

i deleted it ,its now askin me for new partition size , minimum 8mb max 19085 mb , press enter to create new partition , bla bla

im nippin out here mate , i will check yer post when i am back

I dunno what size to choose, 19085 was my previous partition size ( as u know )

speak to ya soon

ok im back,next screen asks the following :

Format the partition using the NTFS file system ( quick )or
fat file system ( quick )
or ntfs file system
or fat file system

which 1?

Sorted , its workin well mate, still a lot of features on this mobo that i dont know how to work, but main thing is its workin!

Thanks for your time and help

ps: posted this from the fixed comp

Back