• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Monitoring Fan RPM really necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you like numbers then by all means get 3-pin fans. Be warned that not all motherboard headers can handle lots of current though. CPU fan monitoring is a necessity though, as a failure can kill a CPU pretty quickly.

This relates to a fan controlled bus more then anything. Most ones that read off RPM's read off tempatures too which can be helpfull if your playing a game or something and don't want to log back to desktop. Thats probley one of the bigger benifits also monitoring RPM speed without going to desktop too.

Also they look cooler :)

If its just a monitor software that came with the motherboard just to see figures basiclly and if the RMP starts to decrease over time then u know something fishy is going on with the fan.

I wonder if a case fan (4pin harness) can be modded so that it can cool the CPU, monitored RPM and uses PSU as power source?:rolleyes:

I use it to set an alarm for lower rpm's. If the CPU fan gets too slow, through a loss of power or if my wife turns the fan down too much with my fanbus, then an alarm goes off.

L337 M33P said:
Usually 4-pin fans lack the RPM sensor within them, so you can't read the RPM. You can buy 4-pin to 3-pin adapters I think.

Where can you get an adaptor like that? and If the 4 pin lacks the rpm sensor, even with the adaptor, the fan still can't provide RPM info right?

I think it needs a 3 pin to do that since one of the wires is the RPM sensor. I know u can hook a 3 pin to a 4 molex connector and still use a rpm sensor.

deathman20 said:
I think it needs a 3 pin to do that since one of the wires is the RPM sensor. I know u can hook a 3 pin to a 4 molex connector and still use a rpm sensor.

Do you know where I can get the connector (converter)?

I think like case-mod.com or casemods.com have it, a 3-4 pin connector. But from there you if you want RPM you still have to mod it and take the sensor line to the motherboard to get a reading.

deathman20 said:
I think like case-mod.com or casemods.com have it, a 3-4 pin connector. But from there you if you want RPM you still have to mod it and take the sensor line to the motherboard to get a reading.
Thanks! deathman20 :thup:

I am sure you COULD mod a fan without an rpm sensor to include one. I think all the rpm sensor is, is a switch attached to the shaft of the motor, that gets closed once per revolution, and just send implulses oncer per revolution. But the mod would likely be more expensive than a fan that already includes RPM meter.

Just a note. For high-power fans, you can get a cable that "breaks out" the rpm lead from the other two connectors. That way, you can power the fan however you want to, but still use the motherboard fan headers to monitor rpm.

Back