• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is the a64 fx 940pin???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

If amd knew they where gunna go to 939pin then why are they realeasing it now with a 940 pin layout.....they are gunna take a hit in sales bbecause most people will wait for the prices to fall and the new 939pin mobos to come out....and with the new mobos comes new advances.....so why940?

treepop said:
If amd knew they where gunna go to 939pin then why are they realeasing it now with a 940 pin layout.....they are gunna take a hit in sales bbecause most people will wait for the prices to fall and the new 939pin mobos to come out....and with the new mobos comes new advances.....so why940?

*cough*stripped down opteron*cough*

Athlon 64 FX-51 is not a ClawHammer CPU, it's a rebadged Opteron (SledgeHammer) CPU that will disappear in 2004 when 90nm Socket 939 San Diego core comes out.

They promised 64 bit, and they had to deliver and this is the best way that suited them in September 2003.

There is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX.

well i guess if amd can put a hammer out the door,which i thought id never see that day.i guess they can make a 90nm cpu.gonna be hard as hell tho.
the fx will go the way of the old williamette of p4 fame most likley.

i read somewhere why they drop the one pin.but i dont remember the reason.
memory bandwith is what makes the opteron/fx what it is.
and the 754 socket cpu looks more like an xp performance wise.
of course this will change alot of things i hope once the 64bit windows gets out.cpu cycles will be much more efficient and thus swamping the 32bit xp's.

Back