• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x256mb or 1-512mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

I have a dual channel mobo(see sig) and I want a minimum of 512mb. Should I get 1 stick of 512mb or 2 sticks of 256mb???Probably pc3500 memory. Been looking at the Buffalo 512mb pc3500, or some GEIL Golden Dragon(been tested on the board in a review so I know it works pretty good). Any other suggestions???? I like the Mushkin Black Level II, but I probably can only afford a stick of 256mb.

I think it's pretty well accepted that dual channel is going to work out a lot better with two sticks of ram.

In Intel case there is little debate here. But in AMD case it very much depends on the price and future upgrades.

So I should get 2x256mb of whatever I decide to get-- pc3200 or pc3500

chaos, is this all in reference to your NEW NEW rig ? because if you have a 2.4B in there, there's really no reason to go with 3200, let alone 3500.

get some 2700 with that 533 bus of yours

Actually what I'd do :) ...

hopefully you just bought the 2.4b not too long ago, and might be able to get away with a credit, and spend an additional $9 on a 2.4c, THEN get your pc3200 or 3500, running at 2-3-2-6, and you'll be a happy camper, with a much faster overall system.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Bah, just a tiny bit faster and very little chance of running 1:1 on the memory. A 2.4b is virtually the equal of a 2.4c, and my 1.8a outruns many 2.4c's.

http://www.thejemreport.com/articles/800fsb.htm

Larva, is there not going to be a significant jump in bandwidth with him running a 2.4C, with HT enabled ?

As far as 1:1, he didn't mention wanting to OC, but if he would, he would have no problems running something like mushkin black II pc3500 at 200mhz at 2-3-2-6.

I just find it odd how people in the hardcore forum are buying the latest chipset motherboards , and bottlenecking their systems with the most important components ; CPU and MEMORY

just my 2 cents

ps- Chaos, you can find 2.4c's ,retail, at newegg, for exactly $1 more than a 2.4b there. You have an awesome board, utilize it :)

throw it in a-synch and run yourself a cool 3 Ghz or higher at 5:4, tight timings and you WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE

I can run it @3.0(had it @3.2 on my SINXP1394 mobo, but it was real picky with memory) I'm sure my memory is holding me back..

Back