• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on S/B heatsink removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SCHMOGIE

Registered
Gotta a question to anyone, whats the best solution to remove southbridge heatsink? And what will you recommend to use thermal glue solution? Thanks, ill just wait for your replies...

How bout, arctic silver adhesive/glue? does anyone of you tried to used this? And how bout removing this, if its already glued and if you want to change the glued sink, would it be possible to removed this kind of solution just like the using of hair dryer to removed it? hope you can comment on this, thanks a lot:cool:

are you saying the heatsink is already epoxied down to the chip ?? Or is it just superglued on ??

If its superglue you may be able to get it off.....but the epoxy.....DONT TRY IT. it will rip the SB right off the board.

also for glue use the freezer trickand get some pliers and twist the heatsink VERY SLOWLY. This is how i remove heatsinks that are hard to get under with a screwdriver/ creditcard

depends on what you put on the SB heatsink with....

unless you're talking about the northbridge heatsink, in which case a hairdryer will do the trick... (word of caution.... the heatsink gets EXTREMELY hot, you will burn your fingers if you touch it, so don't touch it with bare hands) oh yeah, don't make the same mistake as me.. actually take off the glue poo that's on the n/b or s/b after you take it off...

Its not the N/B but its the S/B. But i do have some problem too regarding N/B. Ive already done with the N/B mods, ive already removed factory's passive N/B and replaced it with vantec iceberg, but my problem is that ive used the the factory's pin with spring to attached the iceberg, but before i pinned it, ive applied AS3 on the N/B, didnt make any lapped method coz the N/B that comes with my MOBO is the all palstic ceramic type no aluminum chips inserted the one that ive saw on the forum, but it seems the iceberg was not fitted tight. So im wondering now to put Arctic silver adhesive, but im not so sure if it can still removed once it applied. Right now only that kind of solution is available here in our market and AS3. Im trying to look for arctic alumina glue but its not available here. So my question is if i will used this kind of adhesive, can i still removed it later if id like to? Is it something to do my overclocking? coz right now i can only overclocked my 2500 up to 11x195. It id pushed it higher, it can still boot but the problem is the windows anymore, ive always got a mesg of NTOS problem then hanged up.

Back