• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Ram? I need opinions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xu5

Hi guys, currently i'm wondering which ram would be best for me. I dont have any personal perference at all so i'm completely open to suggestions. I'm going to prolly have $325-350 USD set aside for ram alone and it will be used with a P4 2.4c and the IC7-G MAX2 mobo.

I game a whole lot and i use 3d graphically intense apps like 3dsmax, maya, photoshop, and others. I'm a power user from hell literally, i multi-task with no fewer than 8-10 windows at one time. Currently right now i have 12 Internet explorer windows on screen.

Concerning 3d gfx etc, i already have a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (bought Brand new for $250 USD from my work) that i will be using with my system.

I'm going to be overclocking everything (cpu, ram, video, etc.).

Straight up i'm gonna be honest, i dont know a whole lot about ram brands, timings, etc but i intend to do a full in-depth research on them to learn and make sure i know what i'm doing after everything is "burnt-in."

I do have a question though, concerning the IC7-G is says it supports up to DDR 400, so does that mean it wont allow anything more and over clocked? I honestly dont know but i would think something like even OCZ pc4000 GOLD would run ok in it.

Speaking of a brand name i hear that OCZ, Mushkin level2, and Corsair are all top of the line ram brands and offer the best overclocking capabilities. Now i dont know this for sure so thats why i'm here asking for help and advice. I do however want to be able to get at least 1GB - 2GB of ram for right now. So what do you guys think is in my BEST interest for the things i do? 325-350 smackers to spend, where should i go?

(note) I know some of you like Kingstong Hyper Xtreme ram KHX, i will not be looking at that ram brand at ALL so please do not suggest it. I work at best buy and i have people buying that ram for their kids once a week, and also one a week at least they return it saying it "fried" on them. Could be luck of the draw i dont know and dont really care but i wont be thinking about KHX Ram at all, just my opinion.

I'm pretty happy with my Mushkin BH-5 Promo 2-2-2 stuff they sold for $135 a stick (512mb)

It can do 235 1/1 at 2-2-2-5, at 2.7volts While this isn't earth shattering it suits my needs. I'm sure if I gave it more jiuice I could get a little more.
(Came without heatspreaders on it and it took me 10 minutes on the Phone to get an OK to put a copper heatspreader on it, The deal is If I ever need to return it due to their lifetime warranty, I have to remove the heatspreader. Mushkin goes out of their way to make you happy)

Maybe they will bring this item back (they have weekend sales every weekend), hard to say/ But the Black Level II is good stuff (If you buy it get it at Newegg and you'll save about $35 per 512mb stick)
Mushkin has a no questions asked 2 week guarantee on all their products.

The timing memory runs at controls what actions occur during each cycle. Getting into it in more depth usually requires some sort of advanced micro-technology degree or that kind of thing. But the main point is (to an extent) lower is better.
A good short and basically simple review of memory timings can be found at Mushkin's website - http://www.mushkin.com/mushkin/pop-up/latencies.htm

Timings are given in differant ways, usually depending on motherboard bios descriptions, but the most common given are CAS Latency, RAS-to-CAS delay (tRCD), and RAS Precharge (tRP). tRCD and tRP are the most important timings, and if you want optimum performance these should be at 2 or 3. CAS Latency is also an important timing, and usual settings are 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0.

Another timing, sometimes not given, is RAS Pulse Width (tRAS). Accounts given for the optimum tRAS timing vary, but the absolute minimum would be the CAS Latency + tRCD timings, so with CAS Latency and tRCD timings both at 2 (2+2) the tRAS timing would be at least 4. Many say that you should add 1 or 2 to CAS Latency + tRCD total as well, giving you a tRAS timing of 5 or 6.

A timing of 2-2-2-5 is generally accounted to be the ideal because it's the lowest settings many BIOS (Abit and Asus) allow for.

--

As for which memory to buy with $300-$350, it depends on what you want to achieve with your overclocking. There's the WinBond BH-5 (memory chips) route for 220-240MHz running 4:5 with a FSB at 275-300MHz with the lowest possible (2-2-2) timings. Or there's the DDR500 route running around 260-280MHz 1:1 with your FSB at relaxed (3-3-3) timings. Both are fast, the general concensus is that running 4:5 with your FSB above 270MHz with 2-2-2 timings will give you the slight edge in real-world (gaming) tests (fps) and costs less.

Newly released DDR500 modules using the latest Hynix 4ns chips, such as Corsairs PC4000C2PRO and Mushkin's yet-to-release high-performance DDR500 (reviewed at Anandtech) allow CAS Latency timings of 2.0 at 200MHz+ memory clocks while also allowing for 260-280MHz with relaxed timings. But these sacrifice tRCD and tRP timings of 2, using 2-3-3 timings at DDR400+ speeds. (older DDR500 wouldn't allow for any CAS Latency timings of less then 2.5, but went up to 290-300MHz at 3-4-4) If you want to go the DDR500 route, I would recommend buying PC4000 modules that use the latest Hynix chips and will run DDR400+ with at least a 2-3-3 timing.

If you go the preferred "WinBond BH-5" route, so called because these are considered the best overclocking memory chips no-longer made, then Mushkin PC3500 Black Level 2 will fit your budget. Buying from NewEgg.Com (instead of Mushkin.Com w/ 10% Coupon) will net you a relative bargain price of $155/512MB module ($310 for 1GB - 2x512MB that will run in Duel-Channel mode) compared to $345.60 plus shipping from Mushkin.Com.

there is also buffalo and twinmos which are cheaper modules, and use the same chips, alot of people have been talking about them and seem to have alot of success with overclocking with this ram in place.

I personally use corsair although I am looking to get some buffalo modules in the not too distant future. if you do a search, all the above mentioned ram are up there in quality and performance, which one is "best" is really a matter of opinion since it depends on the combination and luck of the draw with all the other components.

from Corsair website
2 - 3 - 3 - 7 - 1T

Cas latency = 2
tRCD = Ras to cas = 3
tRP = ras precharge = 3
tRAS = Active to precharge = 7
command rate = 1 clock cycle

i use corsair, and i think im gonna be perty happy with it :rolleyes:

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
The timing memory runs at controls what actions occur during each cycle. Getting into it in more depth usually requires some sort of advanced micro-technology degree or that kind of thing. But the main point is (to an extent) lower is better.
A good short and basically simple review of memory timings can be found at Mushkin's website - http://www.mushkin.com/mushkin/pop-up/latencies.htm

Timings are given in differant ways, usually depending on motherboard bios descriptions, but the most common given are CAS Latency, RAS-to-CAS delay (tRCD), and RAS Precharge (tRP). tRCD and tRP are the most important timings, and if you want optimum performance these should be at 2 or 3. CAS Latency is also an important timing, and usual settings are 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0.

Another timing, sometimes not given, is RAS Pulse Width (tRAS). Accounts given for the optimum tRAS timing vary, but the absolute minimum would be the CAS Latency + tRCD timings, so with CAS Latency and tRCD timings both at 2 (2+2) the tRAS timing would be at least 4. Many say that you should add 1 or 2 to CAS Latency + tRCD total as well, giving you a tRAS timing of 5 or 6.

A timing of 2-2-2-5 is generally accounted to be the ideal because it's the lowest settings many BIOS (Abit and Asus) allow for.

--

As for which memory to buy with $300-$350, it depends on what you want to achieve with your overclocking. There's the WinBond BH-5 (memory chips) route for 220-240MHz running 4:5 with a FSB at 275-300MHz with the lowest possible (2-2-2) timings. Or there's the DDR500 route running around 260-280MHz 1:1 with your FSB at relaxed (3-3-3) timings. Both are fast, the general concensus is that running 4:5 with your FSB above 270MHz with 2-2-2 timings will give you the slight edge in real-world (gaming) tests (fps) and costs less.

Newly released DDR500 modules using the latest Hynix 4ns chips, such as Corsairs PC4000C2PRO and Mushkin's yet-to-release high-performance DDR500 (reviewed at Anandtech) allow CAS Latency timings of 2.0 at 200MHz+ memory clocks while also allowing for 260-280MHz with relaxed timings. But these sacrifice tRCD and tRP timings of 2, using 2-3-3 timings at DDR400+ speeds. (older DDR500 wouldn't allow for any CAS Latency timings of less then 2.5, but went up to 290-300MHz at 3-4-4) If you want to go the DDR500 route, I would recommend buying PC4000 modules that use the latest Hynix chips and will run DDR400+ with at least a 2-3-3 timing.

If you go the preferred "WinBond BH-5" route, so called because these are considered the best overclocking memory chips no-longer made, then Mushkin PC3500 Black Level 2 will fit your budget. Buying from NewEgg.Com (instead of Mushkin.Com w/ 10% Coupon) will net you a relative bargain price of $155/512MB module ($310 for 1GB - 2x512MB that will run in Duel-Channel mode) compared to $345.60 plus shipping from Mushkin.Com.

Awesome post!! You get the Post of the day award:cool:

IF you wanna be cheap, buy some TwinMos sticks...great performance at a great price. If you want pure power...go with Corsair XMS or Mushkin.

Back