• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sdram, rdram, ddram, ECC, registered.. wot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jognt

All round good guy
with my vendor, i can choose from the following memory:

SDRAM
SDRAM ECC
SDRAM Registered
DDRAM
DDRAM ECC
DDRAM Registered
RDRAM
RDRAM ECC

wots the difference between all this??

SDR RAM = Single Data Rate RAM - older versions of RAM sticks transfer data once per clock cycle.

DDR RAM = Double Data Rate RAM - transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock pulse.

ECC = Error Checking Capability or something - extra chip on the RAM stick holds parity data for the other 8 chips. It provides error recognition and correction.

Registered = Each RAM chip usually has it's address and control wires fed directly from the Chipset. However putting lots of RAM sticks into a motherboard means the chipset has to drive lots of chips, and consequently the load on the chipset drive transistors increases, causing errors. Registered modules have a buffer on each stick that processes the signals coming in so the chipset has to only drive 1 address and control bus to each stick. In servers running 4GB of memory this becomes a necessity.

RDRAM - an outdated and becoming-obsolete version of SDR memory used with pentium 4 motherboards.

correction rambus' life depends on the success of ddr2,(which is a higher clocked version of ddr) rambus is supposed to come out with like a dual channel pc1260 or something and is supposed to have the best mem bandwith available. I dont know about it, my opinion is, it had better go up in clocks fast and drop prices fast to become a competitor.

Back