• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo PC4200 Hynix Chipset CAS 2.5, Anybody using it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schaef

Registered
Anybody using it? If so how is it. It's $109 at new egg right now for 256 chip.

I don't see a link for it on their site.

I believe, not sure though, that it uses the same Hynix chips used in older (non - PRO) Corsair as well as several others. If this is true, then it's considered that these chips are better then the newer Hynix (used in Corsair PRO PC4000 and Hi-Performance Mushkin DDR500) chips when overclocking to highest possible memory speeds. But the chips found in older Corsair and others were unable to do CAS 2.0 under any conditions, and performed worse at rated speeds with same timings.

Not sure about Buffalo's PCB, assembly quality, ect.

thanks for the info, I was interested when I saw the CAS 2.5. I've been waiting for some good DDR4000 with something other than CAS 3. I need something that will do 275 fsb at 1:1 with good timings.

The best you would probably get at 275MHz would be 3-3-3-8, and that's kinda a longshot. BTW 2.5-4-4-7 is worse then 3-3-3-8. 3-4-4-8 is most likely, and even with those timings, not all DDR500 will get to DDR550 stable.

Back