• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel board memory mismatchable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soundster

My IC7 has 4 memory banks, two currently occupied by my Corsair PC3200 TwinX. In the future, if I wanted to add more memory into the two remaining slots:

Would I HAVE to use two exact same memories (Brand, Type, Speed, Size) to not imped memory's performance and overclockabilities?:rolleyes:

Sticks within each bank normally need to match exactly. From one bank to the next you should be OK to use slightly different module. But bear in mind that even if you had four identical modules to use both banks will kill the overclocability of the memory. And one can reasonably expect this effect would worsen with a mismatch between banks.

larva said:
But bear in mind that even if you had four identical modules to use both banks will kill the overclocability of the memory. And one can reasonably expect this effect would worsen with a mismatch between banks.

If that's true, then is it safe to assume that a system with all four mem. banks filled performs worse compare to a system using only two banks, memory performance speaking-wise?

And since the largest ram available now is 1GB, a killer OC system won't be able to have more than 2GB of Memory?

Soundster said:

If that's true, then is it safe to assume that a system with all four mem. banks filled performs worse compare to a system using only two banks, memory performance speaking-wise?

And since the largest ram available now is 1GB, a killer OC system won't be able to have more than 2GB of Memory?

It will not perform worse at a given memory clock speed, but the maximum stable memory clock speed will be lower.

Also, larger memory sticks tend to overclock worse than smaller ones. 256MB will stand more clock than 512MB ones, and 1GB will clock up worse yet. To be honest the maximum realistic memory allotment for heavily overclocked dual channel setups is 1GB at present. 1GB sticks will load the bus more heavily and as far as I know no truly high performance ram is available in modules that large yet.

larva said:

It will not perform worse at a given memory clock speed, but the maximum stable memory clock speed will be lower.

Also, larger memory sticks tend to overclock worse than smaller ones. 256MB will stand more clock than 512MB ones, and 1GB will clock up worse yet. To be honest the maximum realistic memory allotment for heavily overclocked dual channel setups is 1GB at present. 1GB sticks will load the bus more heavily and as far as I know no truly high performance ram is available in modules that large yet.
That's good to know 1GB limit huh?[

Back