• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I save my current RAM? NF7-S v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenai

Registered
My NF7-s v2.0 board is running two sticks of Kingston Hyper-X PC3500 256MB. They have been running flawlesly with my T-bredB 1.7 @ 210x12 for over 6 month now. I could probably go higher FSB, but havn't done any mods, and I am happy with the results.

I know Slots 1-2 are supposed to be a seperate Channel from Slot 3. If I put the two 256MB sticks in Slots1-2 and a "compatible" 512MB stick in Slot 3, will I still be able to run in Dual Channel Mode?

Or should I just dump my current 256'ers for 512's or even 1G'ers?

Thanks for any help :)

well if you got some other brand then you may need to losen timings more and more...

i think if you got another stick of 512mb kingston hyber-x pc3500 your chances are greater...

but gl going for a higher fsb than 210, it can be hard enough gaining fsb with 2 sticks not in dualddr mode, it's harder with 2 sticks in dualddr mode, it's even harder with 3 sticks in dualddr...

Acutally those timings are probably incorrect. Currently I am running in dual DDR mode. I guess what I am asking is:

Will I be able to continue to run in Dual Channel mode with 2x256MB's in Slot 1&2 and 1x512MB in Slot3?

yes you will be able to run in DC....

but how far will you be able to overclock your fsb? no one knows... not much higher than 210 i'm fairly certain...

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Personally I am happy as hell with my setup, I don't even think it would be worth it for me to upgrade my processor to a Barton, yet :) I tied 212FSB and I die after a few hours of up time.

you cant run dual channel wiht diff size sticks afaik.. but if someone else can confirm that you can then i apologize in advance =d... i believe dual channel works simliar like raid.. and for raid to work you need same size HD..

also usually dual channel is enabled when you have something in slots 3...

so 1&3 or 2&3 = dual channel 1&2 = not dual channel

i had 2x256mb in slots 1&2 and 1x512mb in slot3 on my old a7n8x, that was running duallddr...

always try to balance out the channels...

cherrypoot, unlike intel springdale/canterwood boards, you can run dual channel ddr with 3 sticks on nforce2 boards.

as nforce2 boards are split as 1st 64-bit channel: slots 1&2; 2nd 64-bit channel: slot 3.

you can either do 1&3, 2&3 or 1,2&3. it may even be possible to use different sizes (ie. 256mb sticks in each slot) but i'm not sure about that. i know for sure that what many people do is get 2x256mb now, and run dual channel with slots 1&3 or 2&3. then when they want to upgrade to 1gb, they get a 512mb stick, and move the 256sticks to slot 1&2, and the 512stick in slot 3, and still run dual channel with 512mb's in each "channel".

Back