• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a little help on rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MeM

Sorry if this is the wrong place. but im having a little trouble making a new rig. Im looking to spend roughly 400-500 with shipping, this is what i have now.

Dont know about processor, Thinking about 1800+ 1700+ or 2500 barton. Retail right?

-AMD processor

-ABIT NF-7 S rev 2

-Dont know ram need help on that

-Slk 800?

Thats about it so far.. Ill find a case and crap just need help on the setup with hardware.

Thx in advance

2500+ barton sounds good and your mobo is good. Since your on a budget get buffalo pc3700 ram with BH-5 chips, unless u got money, then get mushkin lvl 2. SLK 800 is crap. Get a swifty mcx462-v.

mcx462-v any good, never heard of it.. and i think im gonna get the Buffalo, I though nf-7 only went up to 400 mgz ram?

those mean nothing. That means it will run at ddr400 if you dont overclock it but than wuts the point of this good hardware if you arnt gonna overclock it. The mcx462-v is made by swiftech, THE GREATEST COOLING COMPANY, and should fit your needs.

OK, and im going to overclock! Just cant wait. I wanna buy onething today hopefully the case. Gonna spend a little under 100 w/psu If i can find one. Ill check up on the mcx462, is it any cheap?

Skip the Swiftech in my opinion. The SK-7 from ThermalRight is rated better and is WAY cheaper. For the money I don't think there's a better combo than the SK-7 with a Smart Fan II.

Alright, what version of the 2500+ should i get? hmm, what else do i need. got cd roms, monitor floppy. Just a case. Any help heh sorry for all this. Under 100 w/ window if you can and w/ psu that will take alot of overclocking.

If you want a PSU that can take a lot of overclocking you better get PSU and case seperatly good PSUs will cost about $50 or more. I'd recommend Antec (truepower), Enermax, I think that many people will recommend Forton as I heard its an awesome PSU. Not less than 400W is recommended

hmm, I guess Ill need a cheap case. I wanna spend no less than 110 on both! Yes I know a little cheap. Im 14 no job. saved up for 2 years and only have like 400 dollars. So i hope i can save up a little more or price drops!

I was thinking about it. But i wasnt sure about size. If mid is big enough? Im not good at that. If it will fit my NF with adequate airflow Ill grab it!

how can u say the SLK 800 is crap it is a wicked h/s with a smart fan II on it unbelieve perosn u are

id go with the SK-7 as its a good bang for the buck go for a 2500+ OEM if your not using the retail heatsink and fan saves u abit there aswell :)

I was just at pricewatch. and that was the only site I found (my last post)

I just need to findout what 2500+ to get because I heard different types overclock better. Thanks so much for the help you guys!

I dunno about that PSU, depends on how much hardware you're gonna be running if its gonna be highend vid card, and CPU OCed to extreme (even on air :p) then that PSU *might* not be enough
I think you should look into fortons as far as I know they are very good and cheap

well steppings like AQXEA or better, usuall the lower letters 3 and 4 are the worst is the OC.
But all in all with bartons later week in most cases matters more
so look for the latest weeks

And that case is sure big enough if you'll go for it in the end

Back