• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps on o/c 1800+ chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I am just curious on what temps people are getting and with what cooling on 1800+ chips. Do these run hotter than Bartons? Mine is 42 load and thats at only 210 x 8 w/ water. This is a temp taken with mbm5 on NF7-S new BIOS. TIA.

It's really hard to make any sense of temps with the varying accuracy of motherboard read outs. I can tell you that at load my heatsink feels a warm. That's with my Tornado fan set at half speed on a warm day. On a cool day the touch is nice and cool. The settings are in my sig.

For what it's worth my temp readout on a cool night is 31-33C idle and 36-38 load.

i believe that the t-breds run hotter because of 2 reasons....a) smaller die, and b) the DLT3C chips may have a lower core, but they have higher current i believe. somebody please correct me if im wrong.

wannaoc said:
I am just curious on what temps people are getting and with what cooling on 1800+ chips. Do these run hotter than Bartons? Mine is 42 load and thats at only 210 x 8 w/ water. This is a temp taken with mbm5 on NF7-S new BIOS. TIA.

just wonder what vcore are you running with that temp? and also your ambient temps too,. and bios?

my temps are around 42c idle and about 49c load. ambient temp around 22c. with vcore at 1.775, bios18. 10.5x225fsb.

rig in set up the same, except chip right now is 1800+ jiuhb dlt3c

36c under prime(right now) w/ 1.575, 200x11

If the 1800+ is a Tbred B DLT3C, it is very similar to a DLT3C 1700+, this discuss the difference with a Barton 2500+

hitechjb1 said:
Comparing Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C and Barton 2500+ overclocking performance, power and temperature

If one is planning just to get the highest CPU frequency (MHz) or raw power (MIPS), for certain reason, then the lower Vcore rated Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C would have an edge to get the highest MHz number.

On the other hand, CPU MHz or raw power is not the only means for achieving highest system performance which including CPU raw power, cache and memory performance, memory bandwidth. The Barton 2500+ would consume less power than the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C for delivering the same overall system performance. The main argument is that Barton 2500+ can achieve the same level of system performance as the 1700+ by virtue of the larger L2 cache, even the Barton 2500+ is running 5% lower in CPU MHz and raw power compared to a 1700+. The larger L2 cache (256KB more) improves program performance ranging from 0 - 10+ %, depending on the particular applications. As a result, Barton 2500+ consumes lower CPU power (~9% lower) and die temperature (for the same cooling).

From the following overclocking characteristics of a 2500+ and 1700+, at 1.8-1.9 V, by reading from the graph, a 2500+ running about 7% lower in MHz (CPU raw power), would consume about 12.5% lower power and about 3 C lower in die temperature. This means the two are delivering the same overall performance (within 2-3%), but Barton consumes less power and runs with lower CPU temperature.

Further, for a given cooling setup for the same system performance, lower power is less likely running into stability problem due to temperature than the case by simply pushing voltage and CPU MHz.

Overclocking characteristic (voltage, frequency, power, current, temperature) of Tred B 1700+ DLT3C and a Barton 2500+ (to get to the graph, may have to scoll the page up and down for the right post)

Observations:
The calculation and characteristic show that
this particular Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C,
- at 1.95 V, it can do 2.59 GHz, 61 C (w/ 30 C ambient system temperature and a 0.22 C/W HSF),
- at 1.95 V, it dissipates 142 W power, draws 72 A current
this particular Barton 2500+,
- at 1.95 V, it can do 2.42 GHz, 57 C (w/ 30 C ambient system temperature and a 0.22 C/W HSF),
- at 1.95 V, it dissipates 123 W power, draws 63 A current

So at 1.95 V, the Barton 2500+ run 4 C lower in temperature, but running about 170 MHz slower.
But Barton has a 512 KB L2 cache, 256 KB bigger than the 1700+.
In general, the bigger L2 translates into performance gain of 0 - 10+% higher (average about 5%)
depending on applications, compensating the slower raw CPU speed.
As a result, it is about tie between the two on overall performance.

Comparing power of Barton w/ 1700+ DLT3C (page 3)

Last edited:
Back