• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling suggestioned needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krowa 02

Currently Running my 1700+ tbred at 2.2ghz with 400fsb (relaxed timings on my corsair 3000xms and put it to 3200 speeds)

Im trying to bump my speed up to around 2.4 via air cooling, but I dont want anything super loud.

Anyway to get to the point, I use a sleeve fan on my slk800 and I dont care about temps, as long as they are below 55c I dont give a rats ***. Is their anyway I can get a 120mm fan onto this sink, or would it just be better to put in slightly faster case fans in (maybe add a 120mm blow hole for a quiet 120mm)

My cpu can already do 2.3 and possibly 2.4 (never felt like trying it) I would probably have to do around 1.7 volts, (currently stable with 1.6 but using 1.65 just incase) Im a noise freak, so its gotta be quiet, temps dont bother me, if the cpu breaks ill just buy a new one, I have the funds.

I really doubt a 120mm fan on the slk800 will make better temps, but you could try. About putting it on, I wouldnt know how to do it exactly, adapter will be needed ofcourse but to mount the adapter you would have to do it ghetto most likely, and if you dont have a blowhole that may improve temps, but faster case fans, maybe a degree or two, just use slow 120mm's if you plan on adding more case fans.

I understand that you don't care much if your chip lives or dies but the higher you push your oc the more that your stability is going to depend on your temps. Even with a real nice chip don't expect to run 55c and get a real good oc.

As far as somehow mounting a 120mm fan onto your HS I don't think you are going to see the full benefit of all that cfm. It all depends on how you mount it of course but going from 120mm->80mm with a duct will probably disrupt the airflow quite a bit. Bringing in some outside air right down onto the cpu socket area probably help though.

In my previous system I used a 120mm Panaflo with an AX-7 HS. I suspended it from the PSU with 3M 2-sided tape so it was about an inch away from the HS. And then I made a short funnel-shaped aluminum duct between them. It was a fun project but I didn't really see the quiet cooling I was hoping for.

Today, I have a 92mm fan suspended over my SLK-800 with a short aluminum duct between them. And, I have a 120mm aluminum fan as my only intake ducted from the floor of my case (mod) to the HSF with a 4" diameter dryer duct. This has been cooling so well I'm going to silence it with a 7volt mod it the next time I get my case open.

Suggestion: use a 120mm Evercool aluminum fan at 7volts and duct it to your HSF.

Last edited:
A 92mm fan will fit the slk800, but may require bending of one clip.

As for fitting a 120mm fan, this is the only logical way:

120mm.jpg

That's a zalman fan bracket. You can usually find them for under 6 bux.

Bad thing is all 120mm fans I tried are all way too noisy (didn't try a panaflow). Worse is the hub, it's way too big and as you can see it interferes with coverage. I tried various positions and the above was the most effective.

A 120mm fan never helped cooling. It was always better with a 92mm. The air is more centered on the heatsink than a 120mm.

Only way you can get better temps is with a faster fan, or get a slk900a/u. Which is the top air cooler available. I use a 92mm tornado on my slk900a but have it connected to a sunbeam fan controller. It's only quiet at around 2600 or less. The extra air is there, just in case. :D

But, I don't think it's worth it to upgrade from your slk800. A slk900 is only 1-3 c better, depending on the fan used. Biggest benefit to get a 900 though is that they will fit the 92mm tornado, the 800 won't. Unless you use that zalman bracket. ;)

One way to test your case cooling is run with your side panel off and see if the cpu gets cooler or not. It should be about the same as when the side panel is closed.

Also, room temp effects the cpu temp of course. If in a hot room, you can try all you want, temps won't get better till the room is cooler.

Yeah my room does get hot (2nd hottest in the house) but this really isnt that big of an issue really as I always have my ac on in the summer, and now that fall has arrived, I use my box fan in my window, and soon I wont even need that. Im going to run some tests, and probably grab a 92mm fan ( I ment to say 92mm for the hs instead of 120, my bad, didnt feel like editing) Maybe ill even try ducting, gives me something to do ;).

Back