• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best hsf for Intel p4 socket 478 cpu's??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YellowDart

I'm wondering what ppl think is the best heatsink/fan for Intel P4's.

I've got a P4 2.6c and a dfi ps83-bl mainboard. I'm considering upgrading mine... I've got a CoolerMaster KI4-7H52A all copper with a 70mm 3800 rpm fan and 33.2 cfm.

I'm going to explore some more cost effective options first (as 3, lapping the hs, larger/higher power fan), but a new hsf could be what I'm looking for...

The Overclockers.com Frontpage has a nice Heatsink and Watercooling Roundup

Thanks! I'll check that out :D

The Zalman 7000 cu is that huge a** monster with the 92mm fan on it right????

Cant go wrong with any of the following choices:

Swfitech MCX4000
Thermalright SLK900U
Thermalright SLK947U
Thermalright SP94
Zalman 7000-CU

in no particular order

OC-overkill said:
Cant go wrong with any of the following choices:

Zalman 7000-CU
Zalman 7000-CUwith fan control
Zalman 7000-ALCU
Zalman 7000-ALCU with fan control
Swfitech MCX4000
Thermalright SLK900U
Thermalright SLK947U
Thermalright SP94

in particular order

or atleast how i would rank them :D i love my Zalmans, they cool great and they are not load at all compared to some of the other ones listed, true you can beat the temps on the zalmans, but you have to run a monster fan (either larger or faster spining) and since i sleep with my head next to 4 dual computers i cant have a monster fan spinning at 7krmp.

I was considering the Zalman 7000cu...You just cant go wrong with a 92mm fan sitting right above your cpu! But I'm not sure if it would fit on my board. :eek: I've seen the chart Zalman's got on their website, my board wasn't on there, but they prolly haven't tested EVERY board out now. I've got a lot of capacitors right next to my cpu brackets for the hs.

I might just mod my current hsf... maybe lap the bottom (its all copper), slap some as3 on there, and strap an 80mm fan on the top.

<off topic>
YellowDart, in your sig you have that "all your base are belong to us" I know ive seen or heard that before, but where? it bugs me when i know ive seen something before but cant remember where. So where is that quote from?
</off topic>

Relating to the thread, i hear the Zalman CNPS7000AL-Cu (that's the aluminum and copper version) cools just about as well (within a degree or so) as the all copper version and its cheaper and within intel specs for weight. Because that all copper on is HEAVY!

while the alcu is almost as good as the cu, i think you are looking at more like a 3 or 4 degree centigrade difference, it is with in speck. I have 2 of the CU's setup on 2 different mb, since i dont move the workstations around at all, i am not worried about the 3weight, but if weight is an issue for you, like if you lanparty alot, then go for the al-cu it still is a monster cooler, and it looks almost as good as the cu one :D

Weight would be an issue. I just got married a couple months ago. I'm living in and an apt now, but my rig will have to suffer through a move or two in it's day. I also lan party. So the al-cu version isn't a bad idea. The fact that it's cheaper too is also a plus ( :D BROKE COLLEGE STUDENT!!! :D )

I'm still not sure it'll fit on my board... might do the whole trial-n-error dealie when I can scrape together an extra $30.

<off topic>
YellowDart, in your sig you have that "all your base are belong to us" I know ive seen or heard that before, but where? it bugs me when i know ive seen something before but cant remember where. So where is that quote from?
</off topic>

hehe I like the html ref...

<offtopic>
That quote is from the Sega Genesis game "Zero Wing" It's a VERY badly translated Japanese import. That quote has appeared as an easter egg in several popular games (the most recent I can think of is Halo). A couple years ago it had it's own internet-cult following.

Check out this link:
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
</offtopic>

<off topic>
thats cool, where in halo does it make a reference to that? I dont remember ever seeing that?
</off topic>

anyways, if you go to the Zalman site, i think they have a list of boards that wont fit (or maybe its a list of boards that do fit) You should be able to find out there. And if not, google and maybe you can find out that way.

<offtopic>I think when you're creating a new profile, on the tags coming off various sections of MasterChief, in very small type it says that. I'm not exactly sure... you might want to look up stuff on Halo easter eggs... you'll be able to find it pretty easy.</offtopic>

I've seen that chart... my DFI PS83-BL board wasn't on there... but I'm wondering if they have tested every current board to see if they fit. I googled it when I first saw that cooler a few weeks ago... I can't find caca about that cooler regarding my board...

Anybody heard how well a Tt Spark 7+ measures up to the Z 7000AlCu???
I need to get a good, yet cheap cooler so I can get my CPU to "Ludicrous Speed.":D

eyechart.jpg

X-Terminator-minebomb.gif

fortune.jpg

umengineer-cropcircle.jpg

I love my Zalman 7000AlCu.
There was not much of a difference in temps to warrant the extra weight of the Cu version. Remember that the Cu weighs in at almost 1.5lbs! That is a LOT of weight to put on a MB without support from the rear of the MB.

Back