• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just bought a K7s5a..did I ake a good choice newbie here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12secondjourney

I just put my first computer together I bought the ks75a pro ecs board with 1800 xp procssesor. Just want to know if made a good descion here or what. Like i said Im a newb at this building competers deal and just want to make sure i did ok for my first rig.. Also about cooling i have a prcessor fan running and two other fans going also I dont know about this whole exuast deal and itake which one should switch if any i belive they are all intake at this time.. there is one fan on the panel and ne fan in back of the computer sorry if im not making sense here.. Thanks for all your help seems like a great forum.

I think you made a good choice for your first rig, if you already got that board up and running good job, because I bought 5 of those boards and I had a hell of a time getting them running. If it wasn't one thing it was another.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Welcome to the forums!!

It's a nice board, but not very overclockable. What you'll need to do is flash the bios with a custom version by cheapoman. That will give you some limited control over the Front Side Bus for overclocking. You might be able to get your 1800+ up to about 1690mhz. That's very mild for a Tbred, but its a good start.

Yeah the ECS boards are know to be CHEAP and STABLE!! Most people love them for what they are. Some don't and just think that they are bad boards. Honestly for guys like you being it's your first built I think it suits you just fine.

After a while you may wanna head over to ocworkbench.com and download the hacked bios for your board, this will enable you to overclock your board if you so desire.

ONE thing I would do is REinstall the Northbridge HSF. If it doesn't have a fan on it add one or just replace the exsisting one with a Vantec cooler. Be sure to use some AS3 when you reinstall it.

Happy clocking,
Rob

Robbie said:
Yeah the ECS boards are know to be CHEAP and STABLE!! Most people love them for what they are. Some don't and just think that they are bad boards. Honestly for guys like you being it's your first built I think it suits you just fine.

After a while you may wanna head over to ocworkbench.com and download the hacked bios for your board, this will enable you to overclock your board if you so desire.

ONE thing I would do is REinstall the Northbridge HSF. If it doesn't have a fan on it add one or just replace the exsisting one with a Vantec cooler. Be sure to use some AS3 when you reinstall it.

Happy clocking,
Rob

robbie, ECS's quality control is dire. For a lot of people they ARE bad boards. I've got one that ive had for over two years and doesnt have a single problem. My friend's board, however, died after less than 6 months.

If you got it as part of a sale at Fry's, then you got a good deal. They often sell the pro board with a tbred B 1800+ retail for $50-60. But if you bought it retail by itself for $50-60 then its not such a great buy.

I have to agree with everyone here a good board, but as soon as you got the chance get the cheapoman hacked bios, works wonders.:D

james.miller said:

robbie, ECS's quality control is dire. For a lot of people they ARE bad boards. I've got one that ive had for over two years and doesnt have a single problem. My friend's board, however, died after less than 6 months.

hummm...... maybe I'll do a search of the forums and see HOW MANY people think these boards are just fine, compaired to how many people think they suck.

Or maybe someone else will do it.

As I said, I think they are just fine for the that guy (err or girl) that builds there own computer for the first time. They are usually quit stable and work just fine. NOT too many options to get all confused abou and easy to set up and get running.
$.02
Rob

Well, I ám talking 'bout the non-pro here,
but I'm not quite happy with the fact it has problems running with two stick of sd-ram. For me atleast :( 256mb currently unused... hmpf, but I'll switch to ddr-ram soon anyway.

Besides that; not a bad board at all for its price.
I made a system with it (also my first) almost two years ago now, and it is still running :)

Robbie said:

hummm...... maybe I'll do a search of the forums and see HOW MANY people think these boards are just fine, compaired to how many people think they suck.

Or maybe someone else will do it.

As I said, I think they are just fine for the that guy (err or girl) that builds there own computer for the first time. They are usually quit stable and work just fine. NOT too many options to get all confused abou and easy to set up and get running.
$.02
Rob
wow.

in that case you should. search ocworkbench while your at it. if you think the majority of these boards are fine, then you are wrong. Like i said im lucky that i have a good one......very lucky.

TR_B said:
[...]and it is still running :)

Heh, I should have knocked the wood three times here :rolleyes:

A while after that post I turned on my pc and it suddenly rebooted at Windows2000 login screen. It all went fine after that untill Mediaplayer crapped out and a BSOD: 'hard' error -something-.
After restart the BIOS was unable to find any device attached to my IDE cables.
Damn, kind of scared me. Me and my "it is still running", hihi.
My pc than suddenly completely crapped out....

Anyway, I reseated everything (souncard, videocard, memory, etc) and removed the cpu-wiretrick (not needed anymore).
I also replaced one IDE cable; apparently I was using an ATA33 calbe with my IBM deskstar for quite some time, haha. No wonder I thought it ran a bit slow :D

All is fine again now I think... God knows what went wrong.

Anyone that frequents this site has seen a lot of people having problems with this board. It does have a few problems (known issues) that happen more than with other boards.

james.miller said:

wow.
in that case you should. search ocworkbench while your at it. if you think the majority of these boards are fine, then you are wrong. Like i said im lucky that i have a good one......very lucky.
Of course, ppl have problems with these boards. Mostly noob's that are trying to flash or play with the BIOS and don't have a clue. I have used these for quite some time as 24/7 Seti rigs and have never had a problem with any of them. I currently have 5 running and 3 are the newer Pro v5.0 that I picked up at Fry's on a combo deal w/XP1800+ for $59.95. All three are running 150fsb with cheapo bios and PC2700 ram.

Not near as good as my P4C800 2.6C @ 3.4Ghz rig but cost a lot less. ;)

well having seen my fair share of k7s5as that have problems, i can tell you now that a majority of faults have nothing to do with people being nOObs.

Its not so much that the boards fail more then others, its that sooooo many have been sold that the number of complaints is going to be high. Its one of the most sold motherboards in a couple of countries.

When you only pay $5-$10 for a new motherboard like Texasfit (and many others) its hard to not love the board if the few known problems dont surface.

Back