• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for cooling on my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritalin

Hey everyone!
Ok here is the deal.
I have been looking around for instructions on how to overclock and stuff and i seem to have collected quite a lot of information on overclocking in general as well as on how to do it on my motherboard. There are LOTS of things i really do not understand but hey, you guys are here to help me :)
The first thing i would need is a new cooling system for my CPU. I am using the stock fan/hs.

All those temps are taken from mbm5 and asus probe.

Idle temps:
CPU: 30-35
Mobo: 25-30

Under heavy loads (couple hours of playing):
CPU: 50+
Mobo: 30ish

BIOS temps:
CPU: 40ish
Mobo: 30ish

I am running Prime95 version 22.12.1 the torture test and the temp is between 49 and 51 degrees.
How long do i have to leave it on to make the torture test a real torture?

Would running memtest86 be of any use? If yes, please tell me how to, i really dont get it...

I do the 1mb super-pi thing in around 55 seconds.

Now, i have no clue how to install those new heatsinks/fans/thermal grease so ill also have to find someone to help me...

Anyway, what can i buy for my cpu to make the temps lower. I know about heatsinks, fans, those gel thingies (Arctic silver)... I am not interested in water cooling (heh i have no clue how to removes the fan so water cooling...) yet.
I move the case around a lot (LANs and such...)! And i really dont feel like removing and reinstalling it all the time...
What models do you guys recommend?
What combination of heatsink/fan (if they dont come together), thermal thingy do you recommend?
Where can i get them (knowing i live in Israel and it needs to be shipped to here... damn IsraHell)?
Please make sure the whole thing is not too much over 60bucks in total, not including shipping!

If ever you guys have instructions on how to install any of those please post :)

Thx in advance
Ritalin

PS: My specs are in my sig if ever some didnt see yet :)

PPS: Happy New Year to whoever it may concern :)

Last edited:
Lots of people run Prime for 12 hours or more...some of us run it for overnight...

Memtest is to test the memory. Memtest program will make a bootable disc. Boot up your PC with it. It'll run automatically and test your memory for the given setting. You generally want tight timing for performance. Unless you can gain significant FSB w/ relaxed timing.

Top models from Thermalright and Swiftech are generally considered the best. Although stock HSF from Intel are supposedly pretty good after lapping. But good case air flow is more important for lower CPU temp unless you have duct for CPU HSF. Arctic Silver instructions are on their website.

And seeing that you're in Israel, you'll probably have to see if anyone has international shipping available....

Good luck and post your results...

and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Ok let's say i dont mind about the noise, what do you recommend...
i dont get all the parts of these comparisons...

Back