• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc.com=Computing Paragon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ageeb

Hello All,

I like to say everyone hear deserves a pat on the back :p . The information in here is overwhelming, yet awesome. Thank you!.

Recently, I took upon my first oc journey and to no avail (sp?). I tried to unlock a Tbird 750 with the pencil trick and my system went down :mad: . Oh well... it was time to upgrade anyhow.

I hate to ask simply answered questions, but with dial-up searching can be a test for a monk. Especially, when there is so many cool threads. Guess I get easily side tracked :D .

I aquired some new gear and started into the oc'n world.
TT Xaser III V2000+
Antec TC 550
Abit NF7-S v2.0
XP2500+ (AQXEA VPMW) stock retail HS/FAN
Generic 1x256 2700 DDR

My question is as follows. Trying to take my time with oc'n, I've left the memory section in bios as not user defined. I think on turbo. I just started to bump up my fsb and am at 182/[email protected] idle. Anyhow, my memory frequency on boot, I noticed, is dropping. Is the system relaxing it to make up for the boost on FSB?

LxOxSxI

it may be. i'm not sure how the "default" setting for memory ratio works, but it very well might add a divider once you start going higher than what your memory is "designed" to.

certainly, you should take it out of default. i have this exact board, so what you should do is on the first bios section (i forget what it's called, but the first one, the top left one, where you change the fsb and such), under memory frequency/ratio (forget the name, but i also remember it's the last selection in the first "section" of the bios screen), change it from default to 1/1 (or 3/3, 4/4, 5/5, it doesn't matter which).

amd systems should always be run at 1/1 fsb/mem ratios, since the latency hit is significantly more than in intel systems. you really should've got something better than that generic pc2700. with a v2.0 nf7-s and that great oc'ing barton chip, you can easily push 200fsb at good cpu multis as well. now, your oc will be limited to how far your pc2700 will oc past its stock speed. and if it's generic, it probably won't be too much. if you still can, i'd return that memory, and get some good pc3200 ram or better. if you're tight on money, a lot of people have been getting the buffalo pc3700 from newegg (i think the ones with winbond bh-5 chips are back in, these are the best oc'ing chips right now) for a very cheap price. btw, you should also probably get 2 ram sticks, to take advantage of the dual channel mem controller on the nf7-s. it gives anywhere from 5-8% performance boost...

tyson-christopher kim

I'll try what you suggested. As for the memory choice. I was/am on a strict budget (pay-days come every 3 weeks or so and can be tough at times). Anyhow, I just wanted to get running again and it seemed that was my only area for sacrificing at the time. It was under $30, and I figured it would allow me to get back to the forum again. I plan on upgrading asap and to get 2 banks full (as suggested) and also to get sata drives. Thanks again for reply.

LxOxSxI

Back