• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-X model.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

This new "Ultra" 400 chipset. Is it any good? I currently have an a7v8x-x board, and its a POS. Wont even run CS @ 100 fps constant w/ a 1700xp, 512 ram and a radeon9500pro :( And yes it is the board, because the same components in a kt266 board ran fine. Id like an nforce board, but i dont have alotta cash :(

Don't get the -x version of the A7N8X as it only has a single-channel memory controller. Even though it would be loads better than the A7V, it doesn't release the full potential of the nForce 2 chipset.

You could go for a vanilla A7N8X without soundstorm or RAID or the extra LAN port. Dunno how much that would cost in the US though.

The A7N8X-X is a GREAT board for the price. The difference in performance with dual channel is minimal at best (as another recent thread read states).

I compared the -X with my regular A7N8X and it was like maybe 200 points in 3Dmark. Totally not detectable by the eye.

it could well be. but given the price difference between that and the abit nf7 v2 (non-s) is only £4, i'd sooner get the abit that HAS dual channel, not to mention it overclocks better and is generally more stable;)

Last edited:
james.miller said:
it could well be. but given th epric difference between that and the abit nf7 v2 (non-s) is only £4, it sooner get the abit that HAS dual channel, not to mentio overclocks better and is generally more stable;)

Can't argue against that logic!

Well, i didnt wanna order a board online :( so i bought the a7v8x-x intown. Really nice, the only thing that ****es me off is the sound. I dont use external speakers (have an entertainment center w/ 600 watts :) ) but i do use headphones for CS. The problem is, the sound gets all scratchy and static like. I tried upgrading to dx9, newest nforce drivers. Nothing is working :( any clues?

if your budget is tight i think the -x is fine.. the difference in performance is negligable and it looks like you onmly have 1 stick of 512 so you cant really run dual anyway wihtout buying another stick

dMANIT ****, im tired w/ a headache, i had the a7v8x, and it was a pos, i bought the a7n8x-x lol... little bit of sound issues like i stated, good board tho.. Much better than the kt400 by far

I never noticed any sound issues. Did you reload Windows fresh or did you just fire it up with the new board in place? That could be a problem. Always wipe and reload after installing something major like a motherboard.

Hrm.. its way wierd.. Ya its a fresh install.. Deleted partition even.. (would boot w/ new board to old OS).. But, i play games its fine, i listen to music its fine, but then it ****s up like if i play music off a cd and then open something.. Might just be a problem in 2k (my xp cd is scratched :( )

Make sure DMA is set to on for your CD player. I don't think the nForce drivers turns it on by default with Win2k.

i've had zero problems w/my a7n8x-x...for some reason, i can't get above a 217 fsb but it'll run 206x12 stable on P95 for 12 hrs...but right now i'm leaving it at 211x11 just for the kids....

Back