• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats more efficient?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cupidr17

Which works better? 1gb (2x256 , 1x512) or 1gb (2x512)?

Is one better than the other performance wise? I know if i went with 2x512 then i could add another stick later, but I want to know which is better performance wise.

2x 256/2x512 is better than 1x512/1x1gig as long as your mobo supports DUAL DDR, its pretty much a lot better :) id go for 1 gig of ram, disable swapping, and enjoy the fact that youll nvr run outa memory!

i however, must hang around 512 :( for windows 98 (the best) cannot handle more than 512mb :(

edit: @james.miller: he doesnt NEED to, but it will benfit him, if he gets one now, and one later, then the odds of the second stick being different from the first, have INCREASED substantially...

if he buys from the same store a few weeks apart then the risk is minimal. besides, his sig says he wants twinmos. pretty much all twinmos pc3200, whatever chips they use (twinmos,winbond or m-tec), can do 220mhz+ at 7,3,3,2.0. I really dont think there will be any compatibility problems.

miller: thats what i was thinking...i could buy one 512 now then another later. Anyone know if twinmos or buffalo tech will be making 1gb chips?

i was researching up on this according to anandtech who ran some tests the best performance was with 4 sticks of 256 run in dual channel mode. which works out for me since i bought 1 matched pair of 256mb and in a couple of months going to by another :)

but 2x512 the performance hit was negligible. also it is cheaper to buy 2 512 separately i think than 2 matched pairs of 256 ./

well, im into the whole CAD, photoshop, heavy graphics, etc so i think ill need the extra memory. Plus, turning off file sharing would be great.

Back