• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory question and new 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seer33

So, say i get 2x512 sticks of level 2 pc3500 mushkin black memory from newegg for 310, this stuff wont work on 64bit motherboards for the new amd64 cpus? I want to get ram and 2xraptors so i can have a few components to use with pretty much all my future systems and if this memory is gonna die out by not being compatible then no thanks.

If you will want to use that ram with a dual channel Athlon64, then you will have to wait and buy a 939 pin Athlon64 FX early next year when the ECC requirement will be removed from the FX cpu's. According to a report http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11789 about the pin change, the pin reorganization (they are not just taking out one pin) will also allow for cheaper 4 layer motherboards rather than the current crop of 6+ layer motherboards for socket 940.

You can use non-registered memory in single-channel mode with the AMD A64 3200+. But the AMD A64 FX-51 is not compatible with non-registered memory.

Mushkin sells registered ECC high-performance PC3200 with timings of 2-3-2 for $239/512MB ($215 After Coupon). You can use this in duel-channel mode with the AMD A64 FX-51.

im sure as hell not gonna pay 800 dollars for a processor im talking like in 6 monthes or so when i can get a 64 for like 200 or less will ibe able to use this ram

Will you be able to use that ram in the future with an Athlon64???

754 pin Athlon64 with PR rating like the 3200+ ==> YES

939 pin Athlon64 FX-51, -53, etc... ==> YES (due to be released next year)

940 pin Athlon64 FX-51 ==> NO

Last edited:
dont forget that by the time the 939 pin boards come out, ddr2 may be the standard, and again, the ram would be outdated, its so hard to plan for the future

nah.. by that time DDR 2 will be introduced.. but wont become teh standard.. too much DDRI ram floating out there mobo makers will commit sucide if they all switched productions to DDR2 boards =d it'll take at least a year to year/half for ddr2 to become standard =p

Back