• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP-94 or SLK-947U?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was thinking it would be, too, seeing those heatpipes on it. But I don't know, I'm gonna need some more facts instead of opinions.. either that or a lot of opinions favoring one, the other, or favoring them both on the same level. I'd rather have a universal one, but if the SP-94 works much better, then I'll take that.. so yeah, light me up with some stuff here; I'd like to know.

Matt

Well, you might want to take a look at this review for the SP-94. As for the SLK-947, it is basically the same as the SLK-900U except for the fins which have been redesigned to allow for more clearance around the heatsink, and the basplate has been redesigned so the the entire Intel IHS gets covered by the heatsink. Both coolers are pretty good, so you can really go either way on it.

pretty good? lol, I'd give them a bit more credit than "pretty good". They're both the best out there.. But yeah, I need someone to give me some more opinions. SP-94 or SLK-947U?

you just said you didn't want opinions.... let me tell you. the sp 94 is better. its nearly the same, but has heatpipes added, which increase performance.

yeah, that seems to be what I'm thinking of.. the whole idea that the SLK-947U is universal and the SP-94 is only for the pentium 4. I've got a pentium 4 (2.4B) and it doesn't run at the best temps with this crappy stock cooler, so yeah. It's like 38-46 idle (it depends on if my window AC is on at max temperature or not) without the heatspreader on. Screw the heatspreader, it had 53 idle with the heatspreader :p

the SP-94 has consistently outperformed the sp-947 on the intel pentium 4 platform because of:

1. single piece baseplate as part of the mounting plate
-more pressure, more even pressure

2. designed to dissapate heat comming in from a larger area
-hence the intel heatspreader, designed to *spread* the heat

3. slightly more surface area AND fins array less dense
-will benefit lower CFM fans a bit more

in general build quality is VERY similar while the SP-94 offers a bit less thermal resistence... heatpipes don't help that much, but the lack of the center copper piece DOES when you've got a better fan...

<<the SP-94 usually pulls ahead by maybe 1-2 celcius, its not gonna be much...>>

if i were you i'd get either (your choice really) and a blower fan, yep, those thing work miracles on these things, it'll stack against the tornado with a lower CFM and therefore lower noise too

11-999-059-01.JPG

BlowerView.jpg

the blower fans (the 30 cfm ones) produce better pressure while maintaining the cfm's going through the sink, in general making up for the lack of airflow a bit better...

also do the case ventilation right also, WILL drop ur temps like 5 celcius if properly done, more if you had crappy ventilation before

I'm hoping the SP-94 will work with a Pentium 4 Processor that has no heatspreader (I took it off; the temps are SO much better without it).. will it work.. or no?

good man in removing the IHS...

then again the SP-94 just lost one of its best advantages for the intel platform....

i'm assuming that you're already running the stock cooler without any problems without the IHS yes?

if so then the SP-94 is no different, and neither is the 947

sorry to have made ur decision hard again...

and also, you ever think about getting a fan duct?

The 947 has heat pipes on both sides I think. Would not clear the voltage reg caps on left side of socket.My p4 is getting the SP-94.

I'm glad I kept the heatspreader.. I could just epoxy it back on. See, when I took it off, it was CLOOOGGGGGEEDDDD with thermal paste. I even have pics of it. was HORRIBLE. Yeah, I still have the heatspreader on, so I could probably just put it back on, now that it's cleaned out and stuff. I bet the heatspreader would work fine on the processor, now, but you never know. The problem is, I need to find a way for the die to make actual contact with the heatspreader. Before, they had put this gray crap on it. It looked like thermal paste but I wasn't actually sure. I cleaned it off, anyway. I just hope the sp-94 doesn't crush the cpu die without the heatspreader on. I don't know, the heatspreader just seems like some kind of protection. But um, if I have to, could anyone help me with putting the heatspreader BACK ON the socket 478 pentium 4? (it's a northwood.. 2.4B ghz)

Matt

er, it says in my post that I still have the heatspreader on. I meant to say I still have the heatspreader on my desk. sorry, just so you guys don't misunderstand anything :p

Can't realy see why you wouldn't put it back on? It's supposed to help spread the heat out to a larger area to be dissapated.Weren't you looking for some compound to reattach with??

don't bother

if you're going with the SP-94 you'll be using the screws anyways, just use a bit less turns and you should be fine...

and besides, you're saving yourself 5 whole celcius without it

just there where its needed (between the chip and the sink)

adding the heatspreader simply adds a new thermal barrier which is bad and also another place where you need more thermal grease, which is also bad

Back