• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp2800 w/ 9700pro doesnt oc now..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grindee

hi, not sure if this should be posted in this section but... i had a g4 ti4200 with my xp2800 @ 2.2ghz 11x200fsb. I got a 9700pro and when i put my 9700pro in @ 11x200, it wouldnt work, it just made beep beep beep noise, so i tried 10x200, and it didnt work again, so i tried default 12x166 and it works :p any ideas?

herm

yea thats what other people told me...Hmmmm man, would running 200fsbx10=2ghz use more power than 12x166=2ghz tho? if it didnt, i could run 200x10 at stock voltage? not sure :0|

Someone also told me to try raising the vga voltage, could that help perhaps?

MY old P4 system went unstable too when i OCed (same gfx card).
New PSU fixed it.
Uppoing VGA voltage: Might help but be careful there.

If it's your PSU upping the voltage defiantly wont help. :D

if you changed your fsb from 166 to 200, then not everything is the same.

you should change your fsb back to 166 and try. maybe it's not your graphics card causing the trouble, but something like ram.

what voltage is your ram running at? they should be able to run at 200 no problem, but might need something like 2.6v, maybe even 2.7v. What sort of timings are you using for the RAM?

is the AGP frequency still at 66Mhz?

Last edited:
the fsb x multiplier combination is not important if you leave all other factors (vdimm etc.) the same, because only frequency(the end result of multiplication) and voltage go into the "total power needed" formula (acording to the posts I read from a guy called hitech or similar on this forum)
any increase in voltage leads to a large increase in power demand

that's true. the CPU is not drawing any more power than it did.

But if grindee used very fast memory timings at 166FSB, upping the FSB to 200 without relaxing the timings might lead to the RAM crapping out.

This might be solved by relaxing the memory timings, increasing the ram voltage, or going back to 166.

I see that he is using pc3200 and was running it at 200x11 before, so the timings should not be an issue
the fact that he's booting without problems at smaller frequency might be the sign of inadequate psu

i very much doubt it has anything do do with the psu. Enermax's 350w are good psu's - mine is powering my rig with ease.

Memory timings do seem the most likely. Here's a few things you can try:

1) run memory timings @ 7,3,3,2.5, voltage 2.7v, fsb 200mhz. go and benchmark, see what happens.
2) if that doesnt work, lower the clockspeeds on your card and bench once again.
3) if that doesnt work, run memtest86 on your ram and see what happens. If there are memory errors - its the memory.

k

my agp frequency is locked 66mhz, my ram timings are currently 6-3-3-2.5 and my ram voltage is a believe 2.77, i raised it up one notch since i had been running 200fsb... is it dangerous to raise the agp voltage? It runs 166x12(stock) fine with the new 9700pro. Im not going to be home until about 5 but when i get there ill test it out.

it works

Ahhhh it works, im at 200x11 right now, vcore 1.775, agp up .1, ram up .1 and it works!! wowowow thanks guys. I think the agp up .1 did the trick
:0)

Back