• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File open delay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
When I try to access file info (with right mouse click), half the time it's EXTREMELY slow. This is the more inferior PC I'm on. I have two PCs (the other one is the |337 one), but my issue is with this one:

Running WinXP Pro SP1
Epox 8RDA+
Geil 256 pc2700 2.5-3-3-6
Athlon XP 1700+ @ 200x11.5 @ 1.65VCore
Radeon 64mb DDR (i think 7200)
etc etc

Also, when I open a song by double-clickin it executes winamp (my default mp3-player), but even freakin WINAMP takes like 15 seconds to open. What the hell is the deal with that?

I put the FSB back down to 166mhz so that the RAM can run in SYNCH with the FSB (since it's a pc2700 -->333mhz), and even STILL it's got the stupid delay.

Someone told me that it is probably the amount of RAM, and that I should have 512mb for WinXP. I've never had less than 512 until I built this PC. I only bought 256mb because I was buying all inexpensive parts so that I can overclock CPU and have a 2nd PC for like 350 bucks.

I tried lowering the CPU settings to 166x12.5 (athlon xp2600 settings), without lowering the voltage, just to see if it was an issue with the CPU, but still no go.

So... is it because of the RAM, or should I check something else?

Well, the hard drive is fairly new. It about a half-year old. Also, I built this computer less than 2 months ago, so defragging really shouldn't make a difference, especially knowing the fact that It's only about 20-25% used.

So you guys think either the hard drive or the RAM, or just STRICTLY something with the hard drive?

try increasing the "active to precharge" (tRAS) for your memory, typically it should be 7 or 8 with 2-3-3, see if this will help.

My guess is that your HDD is in PIO mode or somthing like that...
right click on my computer-> proporties -> hardware-> device manager-> IDE ATA/ATAPI contrillers -> Primary IDE Controller (or secondary depending on wich one the HDD is on) and set it to DMA if availible and it should be mode 3 for ATA33 4 for ATA100 and 5 for ATA133, if you have a CD drive that doesn;t support ATA 100/133 (wich your HDD probably does one of those too if its reletivly new) I would put it on the secondary IDE (IDE2 plug on your mobo with seperate cable). If its not on one of those that is most likley why its slow. If it isn't a defrag that is needed.

Jognt said:
try increasing the "active to precharge" (tRAS) for your memory, typically it should be 7 or 8 with 2-3-3, see if this will help.
ssgohan434 said:
also try increasing the voltage on the RAM. if that doesnt work try running the RAM at a slower speed and see if that helps.
I agree, this is a ram stability issue. You need to decrease the memory clock rate, increase the latency settings, increase the voltage, or all three. If there are other memory settings in your bios that work towards stability and away from speed they will help too.

Well, this is gonna sound kinda funny but here is what I did:

I am running the pc2700 ram at 166fsb at 100%

I did windows update and downloaded and installed ALL the updates, and now the computer is working perfectly. I said to myself, "what the f*ck?"

Go figure.

g0dM@n said:
Well, this is gonna sound kinda funny but here is what I did:

I am running the pc2700 ram at 166fsb at 100%

I did windows update and downloaded and installed ALL the updates, and now the computer is working perfectly. I said to myself, "what the f*ck?"

Go figure.
]

Its probably the updates.

^Well obviously, my friend :), but what do you think the updates my have triggered?

I mean, they were just security updates and winXP updates, but I already had SP1 installed, although there was one that said SP1 update. Any clues as to what was affected to make it better?

Do you think that I perhaps had one of the, oh-so-wonderful, worms, and that the security updates disabled it?

The thing is, one of my buddies had (I forget which) a worm. I downloaded this patch and followed the procedure and it took care of everything. What the worm did was prevent him from moving icons or even right-clicking them. My problem was the EXTREMELY slow performance of right-clicking and accessing mp3 files and folders. Gaming, on the other hand, was not an issue.

Okay, I lied. It wasn't the update that made it work. After about a half hour of the PC running, the stupid file-open and right-click menu delay started again --like if I try to make a new folder it gets stuck on the "new" pulldown section on your right-click desktop option.

The change I did this time was turn off MBM5 (which used to cause video glitches on my other computer, and I figured it could also be the cause of my problem on this PC), I raised the VDimm to 2.77V, and I set the timings to "Optical, SPD" --> 2.5-3-4-8.

This is such BS. I still have the problem. I tried to delete a simple text document, and it took about 15 seconds until the delete confirmation window appeared.

Someone, please give more suggestions!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I tried every combo you can think of with my CPU and my RAM. I cleared CMOS, put everything back to stock, and still same problem.

I even tried upping the voltage to DIMM and still no go. The ram will NOT post at CAS3 for some reason. It is supposed to be at CAS2.5, but cannot post at CAS3. I tried AUTO/SPD at optimal and still no go.

I tried defragging and still no go.

I took off many programs at msconfig/startup and still no go. I turned off extra programs and STILL it takes 25seconds to open a text file document with notepad. On the other hand, gaming is fine.

I am completely and utterly confused. I'm a lost cause. HELP!

down by or clock have u got aload off stuff running there thats properly causing the slow down if u have

go to RUN --->>> type in there msconfig

once thats open have Selective Startup box checked (ticked your whatever)

also have Load System Services checked and Use Original BOOT
.INI checked all the rest should be unchecked

:) hope this helps

You did do the DMA thing I suggested erlier right? (I didn't see that you tried it, and that could be it, esp if it took a long time to defrag).

I am on campus at college right now, and I felt like taking a break from studying to check up on what you guys thought up. Crashoveride, I will try the DMA thing, but the defrag did not take long.

Steven4563, I already disabled a bunch of stuff in msconfig, but I did not try what you said just yet, since I'm still at school. As soon as I get home tonight I will test it out and let yall know how it's going.

If worse come to worse, I will try swapping the memory with my other computer to test out. Then, if that doesn't work, I may just try a re-format.

Back