• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Snuffleupagus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brennan77

Well I finished the first make up of my winter cooling mod. I took my dual window fan with a cardboard box and duct tape and there you have it. Attatched to the back is a furnace air filter to keep things nice and clean. This really is the product of NO planning. I literally just duct taped and cut things until they fit together.(as if you couldn't notice from the pics. lol) Anyway, it lowered my CPU temp by 8C on just a cool night. I expect more when winter comes.

Here are a few pics.

photo_snuffy.gif
I think the similarities to my project and Mr. Snuffleupagus are uncanny.

Sorry for the focus. It's not my camera and I can't get it working the way I'd like.
P9280002.jpg

P9280003.jpg

Ahhh....The welcoming look of a work in progress.
P9280004.jpg

That is awesome, i love it. Too bad it can only last throuh winter though. When sommer coems you dont wanna be blowing air thats over 35C at CPU but this will be great until like april.

Of course when the temp drops low enough to produce condensation around the ducting I'll be sealing off the case except for exhaust, most especially the intake area around the McDonald's cup. :)

lmao...

Make sure you seal off the other intake as well, and monitor it for condensation the first few times when it is that low (www.weather.com can give you the ~ dew point for your area too, but its not to exact.)

Thanks for that info Crash. I was gonna just throw some more duct tape(what else?) over the big holes in the front. I've already turned off the front intake with the fan controller. No sense in pulling in warm air.

I'm not too educated when it comes to dew point and what not. The dew point is 52 for tonight. Does that mean if my case temp drops below that temp it will create condensation on the inside? I understand that if it gets too cool in the warm room, condensation may form on the exterior.

Couple of ways to stop or trap the condensation.Get some insulated A/C flex duct at a homedepot or like place.Next make a trap in the bottom of the duct to catch any moisture sliding down the inner duct.You could use your cup method.Cut out a hole in the bottom side of duct to fit cup lip.I'd place the trap in a part of the duct at apoint were it levels out.Push the cup in the hole and seal with your tape.Better yet get a clear plastic cup so you can monitor the duct system for moisture.

That means that if you cool the warmer air to 52 deg it may condense. So if the air outside is 19 deg and the air in your house is 70 and they meet and it cools the air in your house to below the dewpoint it will condense. But the dewpoint on weather.com really wont help you much since it is differnt in your house.

Great advice there. I will definately be doing that to catch any condensation. I'll look into some insulation also. Maybe I can just wrap the thing in something. Or maybe I'll look into the AC ducting you mention. Thanks.

The material is faily cheap if you know a A/C man.If you use flex duct try to find the highest R value possible.ie thicker insulation.
Are you running the fans that are in the window.In the winter maybe just have it open to out side air w/fans off???

archilochus said:
The material is faily cheap if you know a A/C man.If you use flex duct try to find the highest R value possible.ie thicker insulation.
Are you running the fans that are in the window.In the winter maybe just have it open to out side air w/fans off???

Yeah, I'm forcing air through the duct. I'd have to create a pretty good seal to get a decent suction otherwise.

What if you put a push fan in the middle length of the duct when the temps.outside are low and close off the heater duct to the room also_OH maybe close the door too! Just some options!!

So you think the fans are too much? I could put an old 120mm somewhere in line or maybe right at the start of the foil ducting. And I will close the heating vent in the room also.

You might do better to use the window fans to cool the room.Are you willing to wear a coat in the room in the winter to do some OCing?HAHA, ..Just some thoughts!!

archilochus said:
You might do better to use the window fans to cool the room.Are you willing to wear a coat in the room in the winter to do some OCing?HAHA, ..Just some thoughts!!

LOL! No I'm not! It get's COLD here. It would be cold enough to significantly raise my gas bill for heating. In fact, I'm gonna insulate all the seams between the window and the fans to keep the room warm enough for me to stand it. I figure as long as I minimize the room air getting into the case and keep positive pressure from the cold air, condensation would only occur on the outside of the case.

So it gets cold in LA. what part? I keep it about 68 in the winter. Colder if i can.Elect. to high.I guess the best course is to monitor you mod for moisture and go with it.If i close off the heater vent to the room I also close the door and seal it with a towel at the floor.All in the the line of PC cooling.

archilochus said:
So it gets cold in LA. what part? I keep it about 68 in the winter. Colder if i can.Elect. to high.I guess the best course is to monitor you mod for moisture and go with it.If i close off the heater vent to the room I also close the door and seal it with a towel at the floor.All in the the line of PC cooling.

Actually I'm living in Ohio for school right now. If I were LA that would be a problem at all. In fact, I'd just hook the thing to the air condiditoner. :) In Ohio we have several weeks below freezing.

Just a thought..
I did the pretty much the same thing last year during the winter here in Ottawa.
And let me tell you.. its gunna get ridiculusly cold in that room unless you have it exaust back to the outside. I had the same idea as you initially not thinking about how cold it really gets. Even tho i tried to seal up the holes in the case.. you really can't stop it from comming out if there is a positive pressure in the case. It seeps out from everywhere (just think in between the cd drives alone). I would put a duct from the top exaust fan and the psu to the windows as well.. that should help a bit. It will get cold in there but its definately worth it when you turn your computer on after sitting all night and your temps are -25°C and once it warms up its still -10°C :)

Back