• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well do expansion slot coolers work under an AGP slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YellowDart

I'm thinking of oc'ing my geforce fx5600 256 (has stock heatsink + fan, and ram-sinks). Before I do it, I'm thinking of adding an Antec Cyclone Blower expansion slot exhaust fan...

Anybody know how well they cool a card if placed directly underneath the AGP slot????

How much modding would it take??? I've got a Mid ATX case, and the only other card on my board is a SB Audigy on the bottom PCI slot. How many slots would you say an 80mm would take???

My plan,if you didn't have a card under your AGP.To answer your original Q .The under card blowers have to work good because its a mini blower.

Yea, I read that they only push about 22cfm... I guess I'll pick one up and test it out in my rig... Do you know of any good video card temperature monitoring devices or software??

The 80mm fan quick-mod might not work quite as well in my case, since all my expansion slots aren't free. I'm thinking of adding a SATA raid controller pretty soon too. :D

I'm going to get the Coolermaster Aergate II w/4 remote temp sensors.You can monitor temps on 4 divs.Controls 4 fans too.
Remember heat rises,got room above the AGP for mini blower??

The blowers are good at providing a bit of exhaust air flow under the card. However you must make sure that the blower does not work against the fan on the gpu. If the blower starves the gpu fan of air then it may make the situation worse.

a 80mm fan is a very good (and cheap) way of getting some good cooling. you can either have it blowin air in from the side panel (so it dosent matter how many cards you have) or have it under the card blowing up.

rear slot blowers generally suck. they don't move much air and tend to rattle. using an 80mm fan and custom bracket is a much better idea.

I have a pci slot blower and I can definetly say that the work great they really move a lot of air and it saves having to cut any holes in your case. I picked mine up on ebay 2 for 9.95

I have one on my PCI video card because it doesn't have a fan and it works great.....but my agp card has the vantec crystal orb modifed with the golden orb fan in it and it works great....but the blower works strait...moves alot of air and keeps things cool..

rear slot blowers generally suck. they don't move much air and tend to rattle. using an 80mm fan and custom bracket is a much better idea.

Do you have a link to something like what you're talking about??? I'd love to get an 80mm down there

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a description of my rig...

exhaust:
PSU exhaust
top/rear 80mm exhaust (right under PSU)

intake:
80mm side intake (directly above CPU)
front/bottom 80mm intake (right under drive cages)

other:
HSF
video card stock fan

I've got 4 open PCI slots, possibly 3... And my case in only a mid-tower ATX format case. So room is an issue...

In your case(Puhn intended) You can drill 2 -(1/4") hoes in side of door. put 2 bolts thru from the outside and put nuts to secure bolts to door.Then put 2 more on.Slide the fan on the bolts and put 2 more to tighten the fan down.You can adjust the fans pitch by moving the inner nuts towards the door and re tighten the nuts.You might want to go w/4 bolts for added stability.Just a thought!!:cool:

ya man i would sugest just nocking out the pci tabs 1 or 2 of them and put a 92mm fan blowing on the vga this will push clod air into the vga card and the hot sir will go out the open pci tabs

but if you want good air gooling and not to much noise get 92mm fans or even better 120mm fans get a fancontroller or a reostat and then turn big fans on lower rpms this will let the fans move a large amount of air and low noise levles so if ya dont wana change cases do this:

ok get that 80mm front fan and through in a 92mm (cut out all the facktory fan frills and get some ther like $3 for 2 and use thouse that will reduse air resrtiction and make less noise all even the rear ones!!) then put a blow hole on the top with a 92mm
so ull have 1 80mm rear 1 92mm top and 2 92mm front and side, this will creat a tiny amount of psitive presure in the case so dust dosent suck in really fast and then go get air fillters for the intakes, this will reduse air flow a tinny bit but then u wont get a dirty pc and if u get the right ones u wont need the crome fan grills

YellowDart said:

Do you have a link to something like what you're talking about??? I'd love to get an 80mm down there

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a description of my rig...

exhaust:
PSU exhaust
top/rear 80mm exhaust (right under PSU)

intake:
80mm side intake (directly above CPU)
front/bottom 80mm intake (right under drive cages)

other:
HSF
video card stock fan

I've got 4 open PCI slots, possibly 3... And my case in only a mid-tower ATX format case. So room is an issue...

someone once did this here on the forums using 2 or 3 of those rear slot screw in covers. he formed them into a triangular bracket and mounted a fan to it. it mounted right next to the video card. I will try to find the thread but itsbeen some time so i don't know if i'll be able ti find it.

Come on Yellowdart.The plate mounts in the 2 PCI support bracket screw holes.It's confusing when they show 2 in the same pic. Read the thread on the HSF!

Come on Yellowdart.The plate mounts in the 2 PCI support bracket screw holes.It's confusing when they show 2 in the same pic. Read the thread on the HSF!

The hsf is still a definite... but I'm considering this (only 1) to cool my video card

I've seen prices below $10 online... but it's pretty hard to find. I think Zalman is phasing it out of it's line of products... there is a similar one on newegg.com though (looks flimsier than the fan above)... I think that one's like $12.

Back