• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2600+ onlyruns at 1.67GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

astrix

Registered
My athlon xp 2600+ only operates at 1.67GHz. When I set my cpu to run at the rp rating of 2.13GHz, I have problems ranging from automatic shutdowns which occur both in windows and during the dos boot up menu, and on some ocassions when I start my pc I get a blank screen but the fan and power is running fine.
When this happens the green light stays on in my case and then I have to turn off my pc from the power source to be able to restart it again and then I find it it enters bios automatically and goes to the menu for adjusting speed settings.

When I run it at 1.67 GHz all these problems dissapear.

I have recently upgraded all my hardware except for the case and PSU. I am using an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard that was recomended by amd on their site along with 1 gig of ram consisting of two 512k pc 2700 DDR generic ram. I am not sure that being generic this is the issue, but I am suspecting either ram or PSU as the problem. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Check your voltage rails and check your temperatures and run memtest86. If your cpu is supposed to be 2.13GHz then it is the 133FSB version (assuming its a Tbred and not a Barton) so PC2700 should cope with 133 FSB no problem.

thanx, I'll get on to it.
I forgot to mention that I have sufficient fans and cooling and the cpu temperature is around 44C. So I think the temp is not an issue in this problem.

It could definately be you PSU, what kind to you have? It could also be any number of other things. What are your temps like? Do you have a shutdown temp setup in the BIOS? Did you try it with only one stick of RAM? Is your FSB higher then the RAM's rated speed? What are your RAM timings? How are you changing the CPU Speed? FSB or multi?

I have had a look inside to find out the PSU watt level but there isnt a display on it. It was a cheap *** PSU that came with my case.

CPU temp 44C/109F
MB temp 25C/77F

There is no shutdown temp setup in BIOS

I'll have to try the rest off the suggestions mentioned here and get back to you's.

Temps are ok. It will be your PSU most likely. Cheap noname PSU are common but should be avoided.
Get an antec or enermax and you're on the safe side.
Don't buy one below 350 watts.

what about ram ? I have 1 gig of pc 2700 no name cheap ram.

can this cause the type of problem I'm experiencing

you set your FSB wrong..

2600+ = 166*12.5 - 2.08 ghz
you're running
133 * 12.5 = 1.67 ghz

no problem wiht your comp =p just bump that fsb up 33 mhz and you'll be at 2600+

Cherryp00t remember there are TWO versions of the Tbred the one you mention (12.5 x 166) and the other version which is the 133FSB version (16 x 133)

cherryp00t said:
you set your FSB wrong..

2600+ = 166*12.5 - 2.08 ghz
you're running
133 * 12.5 = 1.67 ghz

no problem wiht your comp =p just bump that fsb up 33 mhz and you'll be at 2600+

but as I already mentioned when i up the fsb to run at the standard speed my pc shutsdown automatically thats why i'm running at 1.67ghz.

I want to correct a mistake I made, my 2600+ has the capability of running at 2083 mhz not 2.13 GHz as I initially mentioned, sorry I'm new to these things.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Then you may have a problem with your RAM as if you have a 166FSB XP2600 that should run at 166. Have you tried downloading memtest86 and running to check for errors? The other option is to gradually increase the FSB from 133 (with multi set to 12.5) to see where the problem kicks in

I read in another post (can't think of the name off the top of my head) about someone having the same problem with the CPU running lower than rated. Where did you get the processor? It may just be easier to RMA it although I'd definitly get a brand name PSU (I personally reccomend Fortron/Sparkle) because it will help keep you stable if you ever decide to overclock, also a good idea if you have several fans.

the cpu was from a sunday market, was brand new though still in the original package.
I will test the psu by disconnecting everything except the essentials to see if that will help, if it is the psu i will take u up on your recomendation of cpu brand.

In your Asus software (asusprobe) you can monitor how the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails are performing to see if your psu does have a problem.

yes, I had a look in there earlier but didnt understand as to how much of an indication that was giving me, but upon your recommendation I've had a second look, please i would really appreciate if you could assist me with the following readings from the asusprobe

+12 v indicator is a little bumpy, sitting on 12.224v but occasionaly jumping to 12.288

+5v indicator is on 4.838 seems more stable but changes along wit the fluctuations in the +12v

+3.3 v indicator is on 3.2 but ocassionally drops to 3.184 v

1.696 v core stayed the same

as for memtest, i had a look but it seems a bit out of my league, can asusprobe also tell anything usefull about the ram as well

Last edited:
ye its when I have it running at 1.67Ghz at 12.5x

the voltage for +5v is 4.838 at 1.67 GHz and 4.784 at 2.03GHz
the voltage for +12 is 12.244 at 1.67 but 12.352 at 2.03 GHz

Last edited:
OC Detective said:
Cherryp00t remember there are TWO versions of the Tbred the one you mention (12.5 x 166) and the other version which is the 133FSB version (16 x 133)

yes i know that.. but i was just using some common sense =d

you cant get 1.67 ghz by using the 16 multiplier with either 100 or 133 fsb

but you can get 1.67 ghz when its 12.5 * 133

and that psu of yours is weak.. you should prob thinka bout changing it if possible... fortron or sparkle is a cheap and very good alternative =p

Back