• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2800 at 2.4 Stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenji WIng

Registered
Well ive been messin with my xp 2800 "barton" 333 fsb

HSF: Slk-900a + Tornado 80
Case Fans: 6x Blue Led Fans
Temps: 30-33 idle 40 Full Load
Ram: 1x Kingston hyper-x DDR-400 *PC3200*

EDIT ADDED RAILS
Asus Probe 2 Says
12v = 12.16 Drops and gos up but not to low not to high
5v = 4.865 (Steady)
3.3v = 3.136
Vcore = 1.70+

Now heres the prob

i go into my mobo (a7n8x deluxe) set the fsb for 200 and the multi to 11.5 (started at 10 and kept goin as high as i could) i poped the vcore up to 1.70 to see if that would keep it stable.

When i have games up for so long the game will either crash or the comp will crash and i will have to reset the bios. I am aware this is not stable so i am asking the genius here if they have ANY ideas! Thanks you for help!

Last edited:
Download Prime95 , this will check to see if your setup is stable or not - normally by giving you errors as apose to crashing your system. It will also give you an idea if it is really unstable (will run for 1min) or if its almost stable (an hour or 2) .

Relax the timings on your ram and up the Ram Voltage to 2.8v. Also post your PSU details. This will insure that it is your CPU that is limiting your overclock.

Is your board a rev 2.0??

Your cooling seems very good, although you will prob need 1.725v - 1.75v to keep her stable at 2300mhz.

thx for the post ill try to answer ur questions.

Im dling Prime95 as we speak to test it out

Board is rev2.0 with newest bios i flashed it last night its .06 i think

smoene else also reccomended for me to drop my ram and it might help.

The psu is actually a generic 440 which might be a prob im gonna order a new one in a few days

ill take ur vcore into consideration

Would definetly recomend getting a new PSU, you seem to have a very good setup other than that :D .

I'd set my ram timings to 2.5,4,4,9 or something like that and try again. Find your Cpu limit and then start to tweak your ram timings.

Hows prime95 going?

Im running at 1.87v 24/7 and i have no probs running higher. Some members thing 1.8v is the max for runnig day to day , others 2.1v......
My cpu should last over a year without a problem in which case i will be ready to upgrade anyway......

Your cooling is very good personally id push it to 1.9v if need be.

ya if i can get 2 years out of my processor i will be mor ethen happen since i upgrade processors like once a year (and i got to buy my 9800 256 this christmas heh)

Im gonna order a new psu i bought the psu when i dinit know much about comps and just saw a cheap 44$ psu heh

Yea im guilty of that too, saw a 300w PSU for like €30 and thought yea thats perfect dat'l do. Have a 480w antec true power at the min, quite a change :) .

Sure let us know how you get on.....

Do you know your stepping by the way??

Hey its runnin stable at 2400 right now ^_^

i ran it at 200x12.0 with a vcore of 1.80 ran 3d mark and it went 2x completely fine so looks stable to me primer actually is like no its not stable heres the error i get

[Mon Dec 31 23:20:53 2001]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.499961853, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

can anyone explain that to me

That means your cpu isint stable . How long did it take to get that error??

Thats a common thing with prime95 , if it tool a few mins up the Vcore by .05v , if it took 1hour + up the Vcore by .025 and see how it will run then.

Prime95 is the best way to see if your system is stable , 3dmark might run and sisandra also but it could fail prime95 in a few mins.

ya it crashed a few mins ago meanin it wasent stable i dinit undferstand ur reccomendation drop and raise my vcore? Ill try that later if thats wat u meant

Try 1.825v Vcore @ 2400mhz , if thats not stable try 1.85v.

Did you try setting your Ram timings to 2.5 , 4 , 4, 9?? Just to make sure thats not giving you the error. 1.825 - 1.85v is about right for 2.4ghz.

I'd suggest that firstly you try and find the limits of your memory and front side bus. Lower your multiplier down to 5.0x and work from there. There are too many variables of what could be causing your instability right now; you need to isolate them. Use stock voltage and slow speeds to push the front side bus, increasing vdimm as appropriate, and then begin to increase the multiplier when you find the highest stable front side bus.

Well for my Barton 2800 it takes 2.0v to get to 2.4 but yours may be different. To get to 2.3 is 1.8v but anything above that it takes all I can give it. It will get very hot so even that 900 may not be enough for it. It took watercooling to keep mine running stable at 2.4 but I just couldn't put my poor little Barton through that so I went back to 2.3 @ 1.8v for long term use.

wannaoc am finding the same thing here, my older stepping Aquca is running 53 degree's load @ 1.87v , while it took 2.05v for the newer Aqxea to run at 52 degree's (water cooled).
Older stepping bartons get very hot. Ive had it running at 65 degrees on air with 1.85v @ 2400mhz, not very nice :( .

Sounds like he has a newer stepping from the low load temps.

Would definetly agree with Gautam , although i know i personally didnt bother doing that at first (stupidly). I think its more important to get use to the general workings of the bios..... FSB , Vcore etc, and then think about the overall picture.... and tweak your overclock. Thats just my 2c :rolleyes:.

Back