• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD xp2500+ BARTON CPU with an MSI K7N2G-ILSR M.O.B.O.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcbuk

Hi all, newbie here to overclocking! I have a MSI K7N2G-ILSR M.O.B.O. with a AMD xp2500+ BARTON CPU & 1024MB 2700 DDR RAM all running at 333 MHz. My question is I want to overclock my CPU to atleast 2.0GHz. At the mo its running at 1.8GHz. Is there any way of doing it without increasing the F.S.B. above 333MHz, if so how? If not possible then what is the best way to overclock? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanx!:)

Your CPU will have multipliers 12.5 and lower unlocked you can set it to 12 to give you right at 2GHz. But as i stated in your post at MSI forum you need to research a bit to know the risks. You might need to get better cooling or even a PSU depending on the specks and brand.

This is my PC spec: K7N2G-ILSR (M.O.B.O.), AMD XP2500+ BARTON CPU, 1024MB 2700 DDR RAM, x2 120GB ATA 100 HD, NEC1300A DUAL DVD-RW, SAMSUNG x52 CD-RW, AVERTV CARD, ANTEC LANBOY CASE, ZALMAN FLOWER ALU-CU FLOWER HEATSINK

And at average my CPU temp registers between (PCAlert 4.5) 36-45 celsius, oh and my power supply is 350W so I should be alright if overclocked too 2GHz?

I would also flash your bios to make sure the temps are reading right. I flashed mine and my temps are now reading correctly....10C higher then originally.

True with the 1st bios the temps were 10C to high then on the 2nd bios they were 10C to low and jumpy with the others. The newest bios update they are reading correctly, but check your temps under PC Health in the bios to get a accurate reading PCAlert 4 lies a lot. As for your PSU 350 is pushing it even without all the extras you have, what are the specks on your PSU it is on the sticker on side of PSU. You will need about 28A on the 3.3 rail just for your ram. It might be ok now but it working that PSU very hard and is shorting it life fast. Antec True power 430 or better should be used as these boards are very very power hungry.

Back