• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about this water chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I think this probably should have been posted in the watercooling forum. ;)

Seriously though, the price on that seems a little high for what you get... Total price of your water cooling loop plus tec's plus chiller will roughly equal the price of a prommy.

And my second thought is, if it doesn't do a good job cooling 100 gallons of water that has no heat load on it, how good of a job will it do cooling a 200+ watt heat source?

I would guess this isn't a good choice, keep looking.

(A link to your plans for the water cooling system might help also, or atleast mention how many TEC's you are planning to use and what PC components it will cool.)

alright, thanks, hmm, can you guys point me toward some good deals? ive been looking around for a water chiller, but cant find anything GOOD for a decent price.

EDIT: how would you chill your water? also, im not really into prommys, cause i want to cool more than jsut 1 thing, i need CPU, GPU, Northbridge, harddrives, and possibly power supply lol :) but my main objectives are cpu, and GPU.;)

IMOG said:
Well, I(A link to your plans for the water cooling system might help also, or atleast mention how many TEC's you are planning to use and what PC components it will cool.)

we i dont have a link cause i didnt openly discuss it :) but let me start here.

im going to have a chiller, built onto a insulated resevoir (a big one) (as big as a mini fridge) The pump will be in it pumping water to the tube and before it starts to cool something there will be a Y adapter. This will make the water cool my CPU (with a 226 watt TEC) and my GPU.(both block will be custom made, cause i can get ahold oh a laser the size of a bus :) itll cout out my stuff for me.) Now, from the cpu and GPU, the 2 tubes willl connect into one using another Y adapter, and then go to Northbridge of my MOBO, after that, back to the resevoir/chiller, and back into the cycle again. im still looking for a good strong pump, cause im gonna keep my resevoir ndeer my table, so it needs some power, i tried the swiftech and Eheim..........lol couldnt even manage :) hoppe thats enough detail, if theres anything else, tell me :)

I'd check out 5000 BTU air conditioners. Just put the evaporator into to your res, and you should be able to get -20°C-ish temps without a load.

Gautam said:
I'd check out 5000 BTU air conditioners. Just put the evaporator into to your res, and you should be able to get -20°C-ish temps without a load.

interesting......:) ca u tell me how the water dosent freeze at those temps??? of am i gonna have slushie shooting thru my tubes? :)

An air conditioner could get you very low temps, but your temps won't be quite that cold with a load... Regardless of that, you will likely need to use a cooling fluid mixture other than plain water that has more fitting physical properties at lower temperatures.

IMOG said:
Regardless of that, you will likely need to use a cooling fluid mixture other than plain water that has more fitting physical properties at lower temperatures.

yeah, i was thinking of that, something like antifreeze? ive heard its not good for the pump though, so with the 11 000 BTU evaporator and the antifreeze, approx what temps am i looking at? (i know it wont be nearly as good as a prommy but meh :)

You wouldn't want to use plain antifreeze. Perhaps a mixture that included antifreeze, but I believe there are other substances that have much better thermal and physical properties for subzero temps. Alcohol is one that is better than antifreeze, but it is sort of flammable and would need to be diluted. Try using the search function for fluids and freezing or sub-zero temps.

Sub-zero temps would be very likely.

I'd go for a dehumidifier. Cheap and easy to do. Don't need a rad either. I got one for free last month and working on it to chill water with. Their basically a small airconditioner. The condenser coils get frost when turned on high. Anyways it's better than spending 250.

Back