• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Level One?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mystypiy

I am building a new system for the family, and I was looking at this memory, Mushkin 1GB PC 3200 Level One (2x512MB) Dual Black PCB 232, Part# 991089 - Retail at newegg.com. What does the level one mean? There is also a level two but its like $100 more. Would level 2 be worth it? What are the differences?

difference is the ram timings. the level 2 is guaranteed to hit 200mhz at cas 2 2 2 the other is not.

also the level 2 is guaranteed BH-5 chips which are pretty highly sought after.

if you do decide to get mushkin check the price on www.mushkin.com and make sure you use the 10% off coupon "DDRFALL" during checkout.

The Level 2 uses WinBond BH-5 chips. The Level 1 uses WinBond CH-5 chips.

WinBond BH-5 chips are generally considered better overclockers. Besides overclocking, WinBond CH-5 performs well enough. Newegg.com sells 1GB Kit of Level 1 for $229 and is cheaper then it at Mushkin.com, even after coupon.

Of course you could always use 1GB of the Buffalo PC3200 CH5 at a mere $186 if CH5 is fine for your application, (or 1GB of the PC3700 BH5 at $198 if it isn't). I'm sure the Mushkin is good stuff, but certainly you can identify the markup contained within.

I'm really going for a name that I trust, and the two that I have always heard the best things about are Corsair and Mushkin. I have used Corsair, so I know that it works well, and I wanted to give another company a try, and Mushkin is one of the best.

Back