• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PC-4000 right for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N803

Registered
Hello there... these are great forums and I've been reading a lot this weekend... I've always put together my rigs but somehow was never much attracted to OCing... until I found this place :D so now it's time for my first post/question so please be nice to me...

My idea is to put together a completely new rig based on an 800 (4x200) MHz fsb, a 2.6C or 2.8C P4 and either the IC7-G or the 8KNXP mobo. If I understood correclty what I've been reading it is a reasonable assumption that I will be able to OC the fsb to 250 MHz. If that's the case, then is it correct to say that my best fsb:mem ratio would be a 1:1 and therefore my best memory choice a PC-4000? It looks like PC-4000s are no faster than 3-4-4-8 yet so I'm a bit confused thinking that maybe a PC-3200 with lower latency and 5:4 ratio could actually be faster... and cheaper...?

Edit: From a related message by Larva on another thread it really seems that a PC-3200 with low latency could deliver about the same performance at half price. Comments are still welcome, though. :)

Thanks,

Last edited:
Good question. Right now im runnin 275 1-1. with a 2.4c. with loose timings. I havent reached the limit yet cause im still testing... Ill be frank i havent tested any pc3200 with real tight timings5/4 ratio as compared pc4000 at 275-285 with looser timings at 1-1. But my gut feeling is youre gonna have a tough time keeping up with that kinda brute force with pc3200 no matter how tight you run it. I think the question for u is the cpu u decide to get. a 2.4 or 2.6 is better able to achieve the 275-to 290 and above frequencies because of their low multiplier and relatively slower speeds. If you get one of those 2 i think u should consider some pc4000. If u get the 2.8 and above then u may want to consider some of the slower memory.. Once i get to my maximum fsb. Ill give u some bm's to help u compare and make an informed decision......

Merc,

Are those numbers on air cooling?
I can't seem to open cpudatabase.com...??

I agree in saying that PC-4000 is a waste of money because the latencies are so high. Although, PC-3200 with tight timings won't really keep up either. What I would suggest is pc-3500 with tight timings, something like muskin, Level 2 black.

PunkRawk911 said:
...something like muskin, Level 2 black.
This is exactly what I was looking at just before I came back here :D:D

Yeah, I've hear nothing but good about the Mushkin Level 2 black, and I guess it's somewhat on sale on newegg right now.

Back