• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who uses a Tornado on their heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I plan on putting a Vantec Tornado on my SK-7 controlled by a rheobus. My question is, how does the Tornado do when its turned down? Is the noise/CFM ratio pretty good when you turn it down? I'm pretty sure I'll rarely have it all the way up, so I want to make sure its still a performer with lower voltages.

Oh yeah, one more thing, what speed (rpm's) would I tornado be running at with 7v's?

:D :D :cool: i am it works, it's a litter loud but it's ok for me. in the summer idler 34c loaded 39c. now it's fall and i got it to 25c idler and loaded 34c.....so you might like it........

I have a 92mm Tornado on an SLK-900. At full speed the cooling is unbeatable but the noise is deafening (think hairdryer). I have a Vantec Nexus (3.5" version) to slow it down, but even when the Nexus is turned down all the way, meaning it is outputting 7v instead of 12v, the Tornado is still a bit noisy. At 7v the cooling is still good, as I get a load temp of ~42C with a vcore of 1.9v, but I'd rather make it near-silent and live with a load temp of 45-50C...

So if you get a Tornado and want it to be silent, make sure you get a speed controller that can output less than 7v. Also make sure that it can handle the amount of power (watts) used by the Tornado without frying.

Yeah, I'll definitley going to run it on a controller (0-12V), I have the 80mm version though.

As long as it still efficiently cools with less noise.

Anyone know what speed the 80mm tornado runs at 7V?

gingo said:
Anyone know what speed the 80mm tornado runs at 7V?

I believe it's around 3100.

I've tried both the 80 and 92mm versions connected to a sunbeam fan controller. On lower speeds the 92mm version is quieter and more tolerable.

Under 2600 the 92mm version is fairly quiet. But my case has no side fan, that does help.

Even on lower voltages the tornado fans do peform a little better than other fans, but they are still a little louder.

3500rpms at roughly 7v on my SunBeam controller. This is the 80mm version. I certainly recommend it if you get a controller that goes below 7v. It's quite tolerable at 7v but still is not exactly silent.

brennan77 said:
3500rpms at roughly 7v on my SunBeam controller. This is the 80mm version. I certainly recommend it if you get a controller that goes below 7v. It's quite tolerable at 7v but still is not exactly silent.

Yeah, I plan on getting the sunbeam. I just wanted to know if it would be tolerable at 7V or above b/c thats when the leds on the sunbeam are blue. I wanted to keep a blue theme for my case. So I plan on running most of my fans at 7V or above most of the time. I'm sure I'll run them lower sometimes.

im reading about 2700rpms on my 80mm tornado. i have the 5.25" vantec panel. on its lowest setting, it actually runs about 6.5 volts if i recall. i was a while ago when i checked. it it very quiet on low. and i have cpu temps of around 34C idle, with ambient of 22C. i am very pleased with this fan. low on this fan is very comparable to my old delta 47 on high as far as cooling, but this fan is much quieter. unless this computer is going to be in a room with no people in it, do not even think about going without some sort of controller, cause it is sick on full speed (i know you mentioned you were getting a controller, but i just wanted to throw that in).

I also have the Tornado on a SLK-800u, with a Nexus baybus. I guess that it is tolerable, but I'm still looking for something quieter. When I have the Tornado dial turned down the baybus starts whining. Does anybody else get this?

Do I need a new controller, or is this expected?

Is there a fix?

Yes loud ******* it is along with the 120mm 100+cfm fan I have on my door I cant hear S***. LOL but air flow is great LOL

Let me get this straight, a fan controller regulates the volts that go to the fan? so less electricity --> less rpm --> less sound/less cooling right?
Also, will the fan cable reach all the way from the cpu to one of the front bays where the controllers are? or do i need an extension cord?
Btw, for a sp-94, which tornado is better, the 92mm or 80mm, what is the difference?

Back