• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps/2 keyboard problem help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobt17

ok heres the deal the ps2 keyboard port on my freinds computer died because we think some water got on it and shorted it out or something.... anywayz it dosent work and we thought we could get around it by just buying a usb keyboard and everything works fine in windows now but we cannot access the bios settings for anything so.... anyone have any ideas what we could do?

so you are saying that USB ports only get initialized and powered on when windows starts. Bios does not recognize that there is a keyboard there?
You could try using a serial port keyboard, i think they exist.

i searched new-egg and could not find any. What kind of mobo do you have. Contact the mobo manufacturer, because i am sure a lot of people have USB keyboards, and can access their bios. What exactly happens when you start up? Do the lights "num_lock, caps_lock or scroll_lock" go on when the computer just starts?

I have a wireless USB keyboard and mousset too, I caan get in the BIOS allright, but for some reason the arrows do not work, when I get to select my booting operating system.

So definately a problem with the USB-priority during boot

Many BIOS have an option to "Enable USB Keyboard support". Enabling this will generally allow you to enter the BIOS with a USB keyboard. The trouble comes when they overlooked using this as a default setting. If it isn't default, then how are you supposed to get into the BIOS to enable it?
I have old Socket 7 motherboards that allow me to boot and enter the BIOS with a USB keyboard, where my much more up to date KT7A will not.

Many, if not most, motherboards have a soldered fuse for the keyboard PS/2 port. You may be able to bypass or replace this fuse if you can find it. I blew one on and old Asus P55T2P4, and replaced it with a small piece of wire. Not the best way to do it, but it has worked that way for quite a while.

Back