• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

larva

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BTank

Registered
KHX 3500

Can you get me up near 200mhz fsb?

Presently i can't get above 182 fsb sync dual channel. I had a 9 month old 256mb stick of KHX3500 012.A00 that was doing 205 fsb sync. I finally got my second stick and together they get the above 182. I talked to Kingston and they sent me a matched kit of brand new KHX3500 2 X 256 (024.A00) when they let me return the others. Nice of them. I'm mainly interested in sync and dual channel.

I just did the vdd mod (old vdd 1.582) to 1.792 and is why i thought it'd make 200 fsb a sure thing. wrong.

Let's see ... Epox 8RDA+ v1.1 with older A2 northbridge.
KHX3500 K/2 x 256 cas 2.5-3-3-11 @ 2.77v
vdd 1.8 vCore 1.775
9 x 182 (board does 238fsb mem@50%)
XP2100+ (tops out @ 2506mhz)
33c CPU 27c case
ramsinks on mosfets and reg chip
Xalman w/40mm fan on NB
Epox heatsink on SB

Anything else you need please let me know. I thought I did everything you could do. I'm really down.

:confused:

Oh yeah, This is what's on all the KHX3500 chips:

W942508CH-5
0330W1

Last edited:
My nf7-s 2.0 has the same sort of problem, but at a higher point. No matter WHAT vdd I have. (I've gone up to 2.0) It won't take ram above 220. FSB is good much higher, but ram wont break 220 dual or single channel. VDD has absolutely no effect on this. It ****es me off because I spent weeks of a large portion of my dwindling free time modding this thing and I didn't gain one lowsy mhz. Best thing I can tell you is if relaxing your timings doesn't help, you may need to buy a new motherboard if you must have 200 FSB dual channel.

Also, try 6-3-2-2.0 and 5-3-2-2.0 (3 is ras to cas delay). My ch5 sticks liked those two timings and not much else.

i think your old stick was BH5, and ive heard that CH5 doesnt like being changed a lot without loos timings that is...

184mhz. CPU interface set to Optimal. I set it to Aggresive and got 2 more. Thx.
Have to go back to work, just came back to check this. Will have to try anything else tonight.

I truly wish I could help, but I have no direct experience with extreme overclocking on the Nforce2 platform. There are many here that do though, hopefully they can give you some useful suggestions. Sorry I can't do more.

The one thing I was going to suggest was a matched pair of ram, but it sounds like you already took care of that concern. It was extremely nice of Kingston to support you as they did. HyperX is kind of pricey for my blood, but it looks like a great deal when it is accompanied by above and beyond support like that.

Bingo!!

OMG ........... 6-3-2-2.0 WORKED!

I'm up to 189 FSB. In fact, it's the only thing that works. It seemed like a lot, booting one mhz at a time.

Lithan nailed it first time. Do you think i should burn it in? Give it 2.9v vdimm?
(because i read the burn in section and it said to try memtest86. I just did it for one hour just to see if i had bad memory sticks and it gave me another mhz right after, 188 to 189) I read posts saying it's a toss up about helping.

p.s. thx larva

When running memtest, try running test 10 first. I've found that that test may find errors, if they exist, rather fast.

204 fsb. yes. seems like every 5 hours of burn in with memtest gives you 4 or more mhz. froze at 204 setting, but says 203 in bios and 204 in Wcpuid.

I'll try 10 next time, thx TY. everything i've read says to loosen timings to get higher fsb not tighten them. especially cas 2.5 to cas 2, so i'm not understanding this... just following Lithan's experience at this point. i spent hours and hours the last two days trying every timing and voltage i could think of. lowest i tried was 8-4-4-2.5
and thought this is stupid going lower, hey it's not even working at 2.5. and yeah, putting cas to ras (trcd) to 2 is an immediate hard lockup with any timings. only 3 works.

i'm going to use this as a log to see if i can get any higher if for no other interest than to me. it's not a 230+ fsb Barton post or an A64, but it's important to me when i pay the bux for good memory and have 175fsb stock. you guys are good, thx for blasting me by 182 fsb. i was out of options. going for another burn...

210 fsb @ 2.9volts

i'm now a fan of burn in, at least with memory. 6-3-2-2.0 Tras-Trcd-Trp-Cas is the timing of choice on this particular rig.

now back to burning in..

i think i'm maxed now.

214mhz fsb on Optimal dual-sync
218mhz fsb on Aggressive dual-sync (1.9 vdd)

tried some more things, like upped the multi on CPU, now
@ 11.5 X 210fsb. tried lowering voltages and still stable all the way back to 2.63v mem !, can't take the CPU under 1.825volts however.
just like Lithan, i've hit a wall and either stick in SC, both in dual, vdimm @ 2.9, 2.77, or 2.63 and vdd @ 1.6, 1.8, or 1.9volts it ALL does the same thing .. 214 (Optimal - Cpu Interface) (Aggressive would probably do same @ 217 but i haven't tried it yet, Optimal is more stable) So now i'm thinking i'm mobo limited not ram.

Optimal is more stable than Aggro. 216 and 218 had some freezes. for instance, mem. benches ok but cpu arithmatic hard locks. usable will be 213 or 214 Optimal is my guess but it'll take a while now to Prime and memtest. me happier now.

So it topped out at a 218 fsb sync, dual channel w/ 3200MB/s mem score.

thx for the timing and the help! i wonder how many send their stuff back saying *pos*, without burning in or finding the right timings at least w/ a new stick. i have ONE timing that makes it work and i missed it. i've had just 3 periods of 5 hrs each, burn in and it has made a difference.

if you have rev. 2.X anything, 8rda+, Nf7-S well i'd say good buy and hang on to it because it seems there is something more in it's circuitry than just a higher vdd setting. at least for most of them.

What can i say?

Dudes!

Hey no problem. I had a hell of a time learning that my Ch5's needed tight timings to get more mhz... not very intuitive really. Glad I saved you some time wasted trying to figure it out.

Back