• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Doesn't Recognize CPU....please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
Alright, I was tinkering with the FSB and the multplier...and and rebooted to see if it would POST. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+. Now here's where it get's interesting. I decided to put it back to the default speed of 1.83Ghz and when the computer POST's, it says "Unknown CPU Type 1833mhz". Which is ok I think, but it used to say "AMD Athlon 2500+" or something to that end. Now, here's what I've tried to remedy the problem.

1. Reset The CMOS

2. Flash The BIOS

3. Remove and Reinsert CMOS Battery

4. Format; Reinstall WinXP

I still get "Unknown CPU Type" after doing all that. Even says it with CPUID. I don't get it. Suggestions?

Ok, more news. When I check System Properties > General, it says my CPU is running at 1.84Ghz. CPUID says my core speed is 1837.5mhz which would round off to 1.84Ghz. However, when it POST's, it says 1833mhz. I mean WTF. CMOS setups says I'm running at 166FSB at 11 multiplier. But CPUID says I'm running 167FSB at 11 multiplier. Why aren't these 2 values in sync?

OK

bfore O/C it works fine I think.

Try to kick off the current bios and flash to a newer version.
(FORCE BOOTBLOCK PROGRAMMING)
Also u can try other FSB Settings(standard Multi+100MHz or 133 Mhz). See if it recognize the cpu then.
If not I guess the Cpu got fried up a little.

good look while flashing

perhabs the RAM Sticks got damaged while ur FSB try out.

Check them,put them out and put only one in the SYS and see what happens. Change them and do the same ****.

Last edited:
just quirkiness of the bios I guess.

about the speed difference - the bios shows you the speed as multiplier x fsb as in set in the bios, but the actual fsb might be a little higher than what you set in the bios, which is what you see with wcpuid.

I just know that everything was in snyc as far as the FSB goes before I started tinkering with it at abotu 3am one morning.

What BIOS revision do you have? I believe there is a BIOS revision specifically for Barton recognition.

Whatever the latest BIOS version is off of the MSI website. My board already supported a Barton prior to the BIOS flash. So I don't think that's an issue.

it does not matter what bios you have no cpu runs at exactley 133 or 166

you will find they are all a tiny bit higher or lower

and now multipliers are getting higher and higher these can become very noticable

take a new P4 CPU these have multilpier in the 20 x

so 133.3 the .3 is multiplied by 20 and will show as a 6 mhz overclock

but every cpu will be different

and then you get board makers who cheat and at stock setting write the bios so 133 is actually 135,thats done so there one is seen to be a small percent faster in stock setting in reviews

Back