• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are temps of Tbred in Abit NF7-S v2 measure by CPU itself?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiyan

I'm just wondering whether my temperature readings, which are very good, are real.

I'm not very bothered if the system temperature is wrong as long as the CPU temperature is correct.

So these are my temperatures with 100% cpu load:

ambient: 22.5C
system: 24.0C
CPU: 41C

2400+ running at 2300Mhz with 1.725v (70W according to Sandra), on Abit NF7-S v.2.0.

Heatsink is stock AMD heatsink which has a copper slug in the base, not the one in the performance rankings page. Fan is the Smarfan 2 from a Volcano 11+, just screwed on, running at 3500rpm.

There is one front bottom intake fan at 1500rpm, one blowhole on the sidepanel at 2400rpm, and two PSU fans drawing the air out of the case, at an estimated 2400rpm.

the temperature is with 100% CPU load while running 2 instances of Prime95 and once instance of Sandra Burn-In, with a CPU split of 33% for each process.

It's most likely a bit higher in reality, as the in-socket thermistor used by the NF7 will be cooled by the airflow around the socket, and doesn't always portray an accurate picture of what the temperature of the core really is. Your wattage is actually around 120W or so. Your temps are probably in the low 50's in reality, which is by no means a bad thing.

nf7's have probably the worst temp readings of any board i know lol. you will see swings of 10-15c depending on what bios you are using.

If you dont have bios 1.8, the i suggest you get it, most people have it, and without it we cant compare your temps with anything. Having said that though, i still dont trust my temps.

You should use them as a guideline only. If they are this side of 60c, then i really wouldnt worry about them:)

Wow! Thanks a lot for the info. I'll update my bios (if it needs to be updated) when I'm done testing stability using Prime95.

Why don't motherboard manufacturers use the CPU's temperature monitoring feature? I thought AMD CPUs had this feature starting from Palominos...

Is it really 120w though? :eek:

shiyan said:
Why don't motherboard manufacturers use the CPU's temperature monitoring feature? I thought AMD CPUs had this feature starting from Palominos...
Yes all XP's form Pally's on have the ability to read the ON DIE sensor within the die. Some boards did read this way, 8K3A and A7N8X do for sure. I think the reason why most stopped this is because the temps read MUCH higher that way and people were freaking out. In either case, who knows how well the boards are calibrated anyway. And I agree, the NF7's are horrible at any kind of accurate temp monitoring.

oh well.

I just updated my bios from version 16 to 18, and now the CPU temperature is read as 47 instead of 41. System temperature isabout the same.

I would say 120w is alittle high. According to this site it is about 85watts. I haven't taken to time to look at the calculations going on in the background to get that number, but the numbers it produces have always seemed reasonable.

Back